Honored Contributor

🎆 Reminder- Pets & 4th of July 🎆

No automatic alt text available.

Honored Contributor

Re: 🎆 Reminder- Pets & 4th of July 🎆

I'd add, if I might, remember your dogs or other pets, who don't like the loud noises.

Trusted Contributor

Good advice.

@lolakimono wrote:

No automatic alt text available.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting this @lolakimono.  My dog doesn't react to loud noises, but I have a cat this year that I didn't have last year at this time.  I'm staying home to make sure he isn't scared.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Khloe’s first 4th of July was spent scared under the bed.

01662648-650E-4143-8A73-0103D499CF97.jpeg

But now she’s 3 and brave. She barks and barks every time a really loud firecracker sounds off. 

Trusted Contributor

cat 4th of July.jpgHappy 4th of July to all kitties.

Respected Contributor

At this very moment, both cats are under the bed howling.  About three of our neighbors are having their own fireworks show.  Sparks flying everywhere, loud booming noises.  Our pets are going nuts.  I wish our city would have an ordinance that prohibits fireworks in residential areas.  I have always hated fireworks and now that we have two rescue kitties, I hate them more.  Rant over.

Esteemed Contributor

I really don't like fireworks.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never celebrated the July 4th holiday with my current cat because I didn't get him until July 9th of last year.  I did get the Feliway Spray to calm him (based on my vet niece) but I was a little late in using it.  That is, the fireworks out back here at the local high school started before I thought it was going to.  So he ran into the bedroom under my bed instead of under the couch as usual.  I went in there too to watch the firworks from my balcony window (great view) and he was okay with that as long as I was there, too.

However, once the fireworks were over and he came out and acting like he always does, once he heard children's voices in the hallway of my hi-rise he went bonkers growling and is still under the couch at this moment.  I can't figure out why he is so terrified of children but he is big time.  I have none so that is a good thing.  All I know is that his former owner gave him up at five years old because her sister moved in with her baby/toddler and said she was allergic to cats.  I bet my cat was tormented by this kid.  I could be wrong.  

Respected Contributor

@PickyCindyMaybe he was, maybe he wasn't.  Sometimes just being in the same area as a loud, unruly being is a torment to a cat.  And perhaps he remembers that when the kid showed up he was ousted and he doesn't want it to happen again, so, No kids allowed.

I Don't blame your kitty boy at all for seeking shelter when the bombs started going off.  I'd still use that Feliway for a few days anyway just to give the " All's Well"  'cause you never know when someone might light off the last of their fireworks stash.