Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recs for a food and water bowl for a Pug

@NickNack  My mistake!  I thought that they had everything pug!  I did just look at BaxterBoo, a company that I have ordered from several times, and they have a short pet diner set for $29.97 with 5-star reviews.  It is called Buddy's Best Feeder Pet Diner Set.  I saw two different colors but there might be more.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl 

@NickNack 

@fthunt 

@Spacrazy 

@DianeJ2 

Thanks to all for responding.  I was just seeing my little buddy off to his owner who just arrived to pick him up.  So funny that he takes forever walking from the house to the car.  He is a sweet dog and I could tell he was happy to see his friend.

I'm not much of a dog person, and have one senior cat that only suspects there is a dog around Cat LOL

Thankfully, I've managed to keep the two separated, although I doubt the dog would mind.  My cat would, however.

I'll spend some time searching your suggestions in the morning.  Likely will get a set for his house and one for me so they don't have to move it back and forth.  

They are funny and sweet little dogs.  At least this one is.  I enjoy having his company now and again.  Their trouble breathing would worry me endlessly!  This little guy gets winded quickly and does not seem to like the warmer weather.  

I'll post back when I find his bowl!

Honored Contributor

Hi @Witchy Woman 

I don't have familiarity with needs of pugs, young or old, since none of my small dogs were pugs or similar types.

But I can tell you I've used raised a feeding station for all of them.  They all did well. (I even got one for my first dog in the 90s from Lillian Vernon that was wood with turned legs and painted, plus personalized with the  dog's name.)

Also, I'd recommend several dishes since you'd feed a small dog at least twice a day.  The dishes should preferably be of glass, ceramic, or stainless steel but not plastic.  Basically, this makes it easier on you since you won't then have to wash it individually after each meal, just put the several bowls in the dishwasher after a day's or more meals. Although since you have him short-term, maybe that doesn't matter so much.

My dog has six glass bowls since she's fed three times a day and gets a fresh bowl for each meal.  Then they all go in the dishwasher every two days.  Anyway, that's the routine that works for us.

I got the feeding station at a local pet supply store, Pet Food Express, but am not sure that one is nationwide.  The station is pretty basic and doesn't fit the bowls but I put in a larger bowl underneath to hold the smaller feeding dish. As a matter of fact,  I still have an extra one in my garage from when I had more than one dog at a time.  It would be perfect for pug height.  Too bad you aren't next door!

You are such a sweetheart to do this for the little guy!

And if you're already doing all this and more, since you have a cat and presumably have WAY more experience at everything, then just disregard this whole message except my good wishes.  Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Thank you for acknowledging our posts and after reading posts of others noticed no one mentioned a “scent rag”. It is the first when introducing a newbie. You should have one from your friend and your friend should have one of you - instant comfort !

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach 

I laughed when I read your posts about having several dishes.

For years, I had multiple cats and....a stack of dishes a foot high for feeding them.  Each meal started with clean dishes.  I bought plastic child size dishes at the grocery store as they always had a supply of seasonal dishes that were perfect.  My boys were slobs and pushed that wet food all the way to the edges Cat LOL

My little Pug buddy has a stainless steel dish, and I wash it with hot soapy water after each feeding.  His water dish too.  I know it's important to have clean dishes.  

My sister in law drives me crazy as she has a Yellow Lab and his big dishes NEVER get washed.  The couple of times I've had to pet sit him at her house, I was disgusted by it and washed them over and over.

I know I wouldn't want to eat out of a dirty dish, so why should my pet?

I don't get it, but I like your suggestions of having multiple dishes for my buddy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spacrazy 

Little Pug arrives with his crate and bed.  And, I've gifted him a big dog bed/pillow that my cats never used.

So, his crate smells like home, and my bed smells like me.

I'll suggest that my friend make sure I have a towel from his house to cover the crate.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Respected Contributor

Oh what love!!  I do the same thing when I’m at my daughter’s house - scrub those bowls.  And, they use the self watering water dispenser (or whatever you call them) and they are really disgusting and a pain to clean.  Anyhow, to each his own...

My theory is this - I treat my pets like I wish to be treated. I like fresh water and lovely, clean dishes and I just really feel if they could they would do the same for me. Life is good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use flat salad plates for dogs and cats, have a slight edge, but it is so easy for them to eat, the food is gone in a flash.