Esteemed Contributor

Recs for a food and water bowl for a Pug

[ Edited ]

I occasionally pet-sit my friend's Pug and noted the food/water bowl cause him to struggle a bit to eat.  He is older and has trouble getting around when he first wakes up.  I've gifted him some treats that are supposed to help his joints.

The bowls are at floor level and the poor little guy seems to have trouble swallowing the food without raising up each time.

If anyone has a Pug or similar dog, I wonder if you have any ideas for a better food/water feeding station.

I thought perhaps one that is raised up would help, but wanted to ask.

A little background...

My friend is attentive to his dog needs, but I'm sure hasn't thought about this.  He rescued the dog from the street and the owners (dog was chipped) would never return his calls.  

I volunteer to take care of him when my friend goes out of town.  I'd like to make it easier for him to enjoy his food.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Recs for a food and water bowl for a Pug

@Witchy Woman I've seen on a cat rescue site, that there are dog/cat dishes that are slightly raised as many dogs especially need this.

I'd look at Chewy or Amazon. Thank you for caring so much for this doggy.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman Okey dokey. I just did a search at Chewy and they have TONS of raised dog bowls! Some are just a little off the floor and some, for big dogs, are WAY up! Anyway, there is a huge selection to choose from.

Also, you might bring it to your friend's attention that his doggy needs this, maybe he could take a look at Chewy as well. And bless him for saving this dog whose "owners" obviously dumped him. JMO. That's why they wouldn't respond.

Anyhoo, I hope this is helpful !

Esteemed Contributor

Check weathertechdotcom. They have food bowls in all sizes. We have them and they are great.

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman  So sweet how much you care& help with your friends pug! The raised bowls help so much. My poodle had the same issue with his trachea and I even put books under his bowls to raise them a bit. 

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman: First of all - thanks for caring so much for our sweeties that can’t speak for themselves. We ALL need you in our lives.

My family has fostered for several years now donkeys, cows, dogs and cats.  Most all of them have their ways but the inside dogs are no exception. It is amusing to me to notice they all end up at the cat bowls for water and food. It is breakable pottery of some sort painted black and white maybe Snoopy-theme. Of course being cat dishes they’re very shallow so as not to get their ears wet. From the 60 lb. hound dogs to my six pound Pom they lick it clean. It holds little so I’m continually filling (just a little special moment they take turns). Some like stainless steel (my fav) elevated or on the floor. Couple of my older boys like clear glass always under my watch and lick it clean. I also use and like the Weathertech as someone suggested-mostly for pasture.

Oops, TMI ; could go on forever, point-being you will find a way and he’ll let you know when it’s right because he’ll sense how much you care and your friend will as well.

They are lucky to have you in their lives.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman   A raised bowl might be the answer.  However, I have a flat-faced French bulldog and a flat-faced cat.  They both have trouble eating out of regular food bowls but no trouble with their water bowl.  I recently bought a bowl for my cat that has solved his problems.  

It's called Dr. Catsby's Cat Food Bowl, and I ordered it from Amazon.  His face can get in it better to get the food.  My dog has a dog food bowl that I bought many years ago.  It's pretty shallow and is easy for her to eat from.  You may need a bowl like this to help the dog.  I know if my dog's bowl ever breaks I will get him a Dr. Catsby's bowl.  It's wonderful that you're so concerned for your friend's pug.

Edited to say:  There is a bowl that's recommended for flat faced dog called the Enhanced Pet Bowl.  I have a bowl that I bought for my dog several years ago that works well.  It's called the FelliP Oblik Pet Bowl (Lordly Puss).  I used it for a while but went back to the other one I hand since it works and is easy.  The Oblik pet bowl is nice, though, and is slightly raised.  It might work well for your friend's dog.  They're both available on Amazon.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Check out the Pug Life website.  You are wonderful to care so much about this little dog.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Why should dog owner also buy a dish - when dog goes home send your bowl with him........when dog comes back to your house he brings the bowl back.  Money saver

Yes, older dogs do have special needs..................

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Witchy Woman  Check out the Pug Life website.  You are wonderful to care so much about this little dog.  

@SXMGirl   I was curious and Googled Pug Life and couldn't find anything except PugLifeHarness dot come.  What is the pug life website's address (without giving the link)?

I did happen to come across the Better Business Bureau complaints on the Pug Life Store, though, and there are 404 complaints if that's the same website.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau