Valued Contributor

Recommendations for safe flea/tick/heartworm meds

I know this subject has been beat to death. But I have been giving my dogs Nextgard & Heartgard with no problems. Now suddenly one of mine is showing signs that he isn't doing well on this regime. So I am now on the hunt again for something that is safe, and works for him!  Sorry to keep bringing this up!  I will keep my girl on what she is on because she seems to be doing fine. Just my boy seems to be sensitve to a lot of things. Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for safe flea/tick/heartworm meds

The safest and best can be bought at your vets office.  Most of them have more than 1 kind.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

I use the brand our vet carries, too. Once I took the package to Petco to buy it there, and they convinced my husband, who came with me, to buy the brand not locked in a cabinet saying it had the exact ingredients. Well, they were itching sooner than the full month it was supposed to last. I went back to Petco and tried to buy the vet's brand they lock up and I swear the employees don't want to bother go getting the key!! I just drive the 20 minute drive to my vet to buy it, even though Petco is closer.

Frequent Contributor

VET'S BEST Flea & Tick spray has some very good reviews on Amazon and You Tube Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Lovemyboots-

I remember a great thread about this awhile back. I looked up heartworm medications in the search forums and blogs bar and came up with these.

There are so many here who are so knowledgeable with first hand experience about this stuff; I'm sure they will respond but until then, I hope they don't mind if I copied their comments-

Honored Contributor
Kachina624

Re: Interceptor for Dogs[ New ]

Ive always given my Collies, Shelties and Aussies Interceptor.  These dogs often have a sensitivity to Ivermectin which an ingredient in Heartguard.  It can be fatal for these and other of the herding dogs.  It's considered safer than Heartguard. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment

Respected Contributor
NickNack

I used to use Interceptor but switched to Heartguard years ago.  If you still want to use it you can order it from Drs. Foster & Smith.  They contact your Vet for a prescription.  It's usually cheaper than buying it from the Vet, too, and completely safe and shipped from the United States.  I've always ordered from them.

My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet.
Edith Wharton

Valued Contributor
CamilleP

I've used Interceptor for years, it is a better broad spectrum vermifuge than ivermectin, in that it can also remove roundworms and hookworms.  I had a dog on the show circuit many years ago that spent some time on the east coast and she picked up hookworms.  Her handler de-wormed her, but I worried she might have brought some home, so I started using Interceptor for all my dogs after that.  Thankfully nobody ever showed up with hookworms, so either Lucy had not brought any home after all, or the Interceptor got rid of them, one or the other.  My vet stopped carrying it for a few years and I switched to Heartguard, but once Interceptor became available again, I switched back to it and will stick with it as long as my vet carries it.  I've never seen a single reaction in any of my terriers from it, even my newest, a very elderly Cairn I adopted last fall, and she was quite debilitated when I adopted her, so I am comfortable with the safety of the active ingredient, milbemycin oxime.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

How did these last two replies from CamilleP and me from 3/28/17 get in this thread???

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Lovemyboots  I would suggest asking your Vet this question.  She knows about your dog and his sensitivities and can recommend the safest ones for you to use.  You can usually e-mail your Vet from their website and ask.  If not, just call the Vet and ask the receptionist to explain what's going on and ask him/her.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

My vet gave me Bravecto for fleas.  It is a pill that you give the dog once every 3 months.  It works really well and I don't have to worry about a monthly treatment.  For ticks, I really like a tick collar called Preventic.  It can be bought on Amazon and not only does it work well, it lasts a long time.  For heartworms, my vet gave my dog a 4 month time released injection.  I don't have to worry about marking the calendar every month or forgetting a monthly pill.  As I stated, it protects against heartworms for 4 months!

Honored Contributor

@tobe wrote:

My vet gave me Bravecto for fleas.  It is a pill that you give the dog once every 3 months.  It works really well and I don't have to worry about a monthly treatment.  For ticks, I really like a tick collar called Preventic.  It can be bought on Amazon and not only does it work well, it lasts a long time.  For heartworms, my vet gave my dog a 4 month time released injection.  I don't have to worry about marking the calendar every month or forgetting a monthly pill.  As I stated, it protects against heartworms for 4 months!

Google Bravecto before you start using it.  Many dogs have died from this.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Google Bravecto before you start using it.  Many dogs have died from this.
I actually have been doing a lot of searches on flea products that need a script to get. Not pleased with what I have found. I know when my boy is having problems with something I have given him. That is why I asked about "safe" ones. Maybe I should have put "Natural ones that work." I use the one from the vet for my girl & she does ok but like I said my boy. no. Vet changed him to others but after awhile we are right back to them bothering him. I guess I was hoping someone might know of or has used something more natural that works. I hate to see him miserable after taking these flea meds.