Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for dog with anxiety issues

@shoobee,

WEll, first of all I have to say you are my hero!

Thank you for loving this dog!

Next, we use to use the thundershirt on our girl-it helped a lot.

Also for our cat we got the natural calming chews from petco but I just looked up natural calming and here are some you might like to try.

Also you might ask the people at petco or petsmart-they are usually very helpful and know what people have tried and liked.

Harmony

Targeted calming and anxiety support

160 Reviews

Harmony is an innovative non-drowsy calming supplement for your dog that helps promote a sense of calm and stress-free, relaxing mindset in under 90 minutes. Made from a blend of adaptogens, nootropics and clinically proven ingredients, it comes in handy 1-time-use stick packs for on-the-go relaxation for you and your pup.

• 3 clinically-proven targeted ingredients
  • Suitable for all dogs aged 1 year +
  • 30 stick packs per box-
  • from rotp.com(front of the pack.com)

chewy.com has several as well with mixed reviews but much less expensive.

Petsmart and Petco have a lot too. I'd look at rviews and also ask the employees there. They know which ones are most popular.

wishing you the best of luck! keep on loving that doggie!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I had an English Shepherd that had anxiety issues. I did not want to use drugs either. it takes a while but once they realize that they are finally "safe" the issue will start to improve. I had my dog before the "Thunder Shirt" was available but that seems to work well for some. Since he was outside I would think that any critter that flies or buzzes would scare the dog. Does he have his "safe spot" in the home with a fuzzy cover and a soft plush toy? Mine took to this first. I used to buy chews but found antlers worked better for the shepherd breed. Kong toys (made in USA) work really well and last. There's a kong toy that you can put tiny dog biscuits on the inside and they like that one. 

Does the dog calm a bit if you hold him/her? Even though mine was a big dog he would calm down if I held him. (He hated storms and would just shake) Time. love and understanding will help get the two of you thru this situation. Such a kind act that the two of you found each other.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoobee. Thanks for giving him a loving home.  There are weighted sweaters for dogs afraid of thunder; that might help.  There are also weighted blankets.  Maybe when he gets afraid you could wrap him and cuddle him, telling him he's safe.  It may take some time for him to be reassured,  but, I always find cuddling and letting the animal know he's loved helps.

We had a black lab with anxiety issues.  Lots of cuddles and telling her she was safe helped.  Took a few weeks, but, so worth it.  She turned into such a loving fur baby.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

We got our peekapoo when he was 5 months old and he is now 12 years old.  He is scared and has always been of everything.  He has never been mistreated a day since we have had him.  He is scared of cords across the floor, the printer when it comes on, all people, dogs, bad weather etc. etc. and some days he hides under the bed and we have no idea what he is scared of.  We have other dogs that we got late in life that were abused, neglected etc. that have no fears and are so sweet.  We have just accepted that the peek apoo has some mental problems and try our best to just accept that he is the way he is.  

Honored Contributor

I swear I have the most neurotic dog in the world. He's anxious and afraid of men and lots of things we take for granted. I understand why.... he was horribly abused and neglected before being rescued. 

My dog is who he is. I don't try to change him. He suffered a lot and it changed him. A woman/man who is abused is also changed forever.  

I use love. I'm patient and loving. I love him like one of my kids. I reassure him when he's nervous. It has worked wonders. He is always better around me and I protect him from the things I can that make him anxious.