Regular Contributor

Recommendations for a Lightweight, retractable DUAL leash

Looking for recommendations for a lightweight, retractable dual leash. We currently have 3 dogs and at one point we had 4. The retractable dual leash is very helfpul but I'm on my second one as they don't seem to last long. I need one where each leash can be retracted independently of the other, so it has to have to buttons for this. I'm wondering if there is such a product you have found that you like. TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for a Lightweight, retractable DUAL leash

I do not think that is a good idea, most people that know about dogs ,do not advise people use retractable leashes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we first got our collie we thought a retractable leash would be the best way to go. Our collie was a calm guy. So it wasn't like he was pulling or running on his walks. He generally liked to smell all the things along his walk.

The retractable leash would stop working and we would buy another. Tried many different styles and brands. None seemed to last very long. Finally we gave up and got a regular leash and that is what we used.

Hope you have better luck.

PS - Just checked Chewy and Petco. Their dual retractable leashes are Out of Stock

Honored Contributor

@Glorimar   Not trying to be nasty but they are not recommended as they are dangerous.  You cannot snap it back fast enough to prevent dog from getting hit by a car or attacked by another animal or to prevent the dog from jumping on someone.  Talk with your vet  about it.  A dog should walk to the left (always) closer to the person walking them.  They can still be allowed to explore closely without it being dangerous to your dog.  With 2 dogs well definitely a danger to them.  No one can have quick enough reflexes to handle even one dog on a retractable leash!!  My advice would be to teach each dog to walk properly and stick to the heel with loose leash walking.  I am a dog lover but would be alarmed not knowing what the dogs were going to do since on retractable leashes whick makes it harder to control them whether I was walking, running or driving by.  I get thanked by drivers,those running or walking with or without their dogs all the time for having my dog stop and set until they pass.  You may think your dogs are no danger but with a retracttable leash and more than  one dog that is a disaster waiting to happen!  Please do not subject yourself, your dogs and others to what could happen.  I would strongly suggest you take your dogs to training on loose leash walking the correct way.  There will be no worries for you to have to watch them constantly to try to quickly retract that leash and can walk them calmly and enjoy your walks more.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a more positive perspective on the value of retractable leashes. When I walk my dog for exercise, I use a traditional leash and it walks next to me. But when the weather is bad, like raining or snowing, or when it's very cold, I put the retractable leash on it, I can stand out on the front porch, and let the dog go into the yard to do its business. Stays in the front yard, and in the bad weather there are hardly ever any kind of "distractions", and it's much easier for me. 

Trusted Contributor

Retractable leashes are not a good idea, especially dual ones. I had my dog on a walk in the park on one and she saw another dog and broke away. I landed on my butt and she took off.  Two of them would be even worse. Vets don;t recommend them.

Honored Contributor

I walk my two dogs while driving a mobility scooter, both on the same side.  I must have complete control of them for their safety.  I would never use a retractable leash for that reason.  I manage to hold two leashes in one hand and steer just fine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Illinoisborn wrote:

I have a more positive perspective on the value of retractable leashes. When I walk my dog for exercise, I use a traditional leash and it walks next to me. But when the weather is bad, like raining or snowing, or when it's very cold, I put the retractable leash on it, I can stand out on the front porch, and let the dog go into the yard to do its business. Stays in the front yard, and in the bad weather there are hardly ever any kind of "distractions", and it's much easier for me. 

Leashes come in all lengths.  I have one that is 50 ft long.  I find them much easier to maneuver.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.