Honored Contributor

Recommendations for Senior Dry & Canned Food

I may be adopting a Senior cat this week and if I do, I want to feed him a natural and grain/preservative free food.  I will feed him dry and a little bit of wet.  The cat is 10 years old - don't want to put a name to him yet just in case he's gone when I get to the shelter. 

I've done some research on Google but feel a bit overwhelmed by all the choices, articles, etc., so any recommendations would be appreciated.  I've written some cat food names down to check out when and if I adopt him but would like other feedback also.

I've had cats for 35 years but have been cat-less since my last cat died 2.5 years ago.  So I'm no stranger to cat food, needs, care etc., just looking for some good recommendations.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recommendations for Senior Dry & Canned Food

My boy loves Fromm's Gold. I get ot from Chewy online. He's nine years old, so guess that's considered, but he acts lke a puppy.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feed my dog Fromm's, but she isn't a senior.  They do have cat food for seniors, though, and it's a very high quality food.  It's called Mature Gold.  It's very hard to find and isn't available at the big box pet supply stores like PetSmart.  If you wanted to be able to easily find the cat food I would choose Wellness.  Their food is excellent quality, too.

Edited to say:  I just checked both Fromm and Wellness's websites.  Their senior food is not grain free, although much of their adult cat food is.  I wonder if there's a reason for that.  I might suggest calling or e-mailing the companies and asking about that. I think it's wonderful that you're adopting a senior cat!  I've adopted senior dogs before, and they're very special.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Why do you want to feed your cat grain free food?

Honored Contributor

@tarerye wrote:

Why do you want to feed your cat grain free food?

Isn't grain considered filler?  Because cats in the wild wouldn't eat grains?  I'm just guessing, would like to know too.

Valued Contributor

MY PETS ARE ONLY FED  "BLUE  WILDERNESS.''

I WOULD NEVER USE ANYTHING ELSE !!!

Honored Contributor

@tarerye and @ValuSkr I have read articles and talked to many cat owners who have all said that filler or "grain" is not good for cats so if I get this cat, I decided this time I would try a more natural type cat food.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are websites that rate various brands of pet food for their nutritional value.  You can Google them.  There are some surprises there.  For instance, the much touted Science Diet is rated very low. 

Try dogfoodadvisor. com

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

ProPlan is great! I get cases of it for my 4 cats at Chewy dot com.

Trusted Contributor

We've settled on Halo dry and Natural Balance wet food for our 3 cats, ranging in age from 5 - 10 years old. My neighbor had a cat live to be 19 years old on Meow Mix.

Overall, the fact that you're adopting a senior cat is awesome and you're going to give the cat a better life than if he'd stayed in the shelter.

I'd say buy the best food YOU can afford. And let us know if you get him!