Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reactive Dog - Need Your Advice

@SaRina

Maybe you can change your walk time , so you start after the other dog is back from his walk .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy, I have already tried clicker/reward training from across the street when my dog sees the other dog and stands at attention, ready to bark. I know timing is critical with the reward system and I try to give the reward before any bad behavior. The problem comes when we almost literally run into this dog around a corner. There is zero reaction time for any intervention prior to the bad behavior.

@MalteseMomma, I have already changed our walk time. I spent a lot of time previously either sitting at my window or standing outside in the morning, waiting for this dog so that I could determine its schedule. I was finally able to establish the time, then walked my dog later. This worked well for a while. Now that dog is being walked at my time --- sometimes. So the time is unpredictable. But you're right -- I may have to get up at the crack of dawn to walk my dog, which isn't the safest and he is usually not anxious or ready to go out first thing in the morning.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@CrazyDaisy, I have already tried clicker/reward training from across the street when my dog sees the other dog and stands at attention, ready to bark. I know timing is critical with the reward system and I try to give the reward before any bad behavior. The problem comes when we almost literally run into this dog around a corner. There is zero reaction time for any intervention prior to the bad behavior.

@MalteseMomma, I have already changed our walk time. I spent a lot of time previously either sitting at my window or standing outside in the morning, waiting for this dog so that I could determine its schedule. I was finally able to establish the time, then walked my dog later. This worked well for a while. Now that dog is being walked at my time --- sometimes. So the time is unpredictable. But you're right -- I may have to get up at the crack of dawn to walk my dog, which isn't the safest and he is usually not anxious or ready to go out first thing in the morning.

Clicker training is not the same as desensitization training.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

"Clicker training is not the same as desensitization training."

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina

My heart goes out to you and your furbaby. I wouldn't punish him for his  actions,I probably would accept it,put myself in his position of fear and treat accordingly.   I would try  the best I can (i know you are already doing this) to avoid any meeting between these 2 dogs.

I agree it is your problem ,but your neighbor could at leat cross the street or something.  Something awful must have happened to your little one (or big one) for him to feel this way about this one dog!

My little Maltie is afraid of everything and is happiest in his own yard but he does like for me to sit on my stoop while he sits with me and watches the world go by.Not even the female cutie that lives across the street, could make him socialble............lol

This problem is NOT uncomon,so don't worry or blame your precious furbaby.Once,when I had a lovely sweet Corgi,I actually had to knock on the door of a roofing company nearbuy and ask for a ride home because a loose running dog,wouldn't leave us alone!

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma, oh no, I would never punish my baby for his actions. I just feel so awful to see how stressed out he gets.  It is so out of character for him. Usually, he's very happy around other dogs and people, so it's especially upsetting to see him otherwise. I'm not used to it. Like you and @Marp suggested, there must have been something in his past.

I posted here because I thought there might be something I could do that I haven't already tried.... and again, I appreciate everyone's input.

I'm glad your Maltese has a stree-free environment to be outside. That's so funny about the "girl next door", lol. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have a dog and haven't had one since I was a little kid.  Both of my daughters have dogs.

I sit and watch the Dog Whisperer every Saturday (love that show).

I have to wonder and maybe give a dog a break maybe just like people there are dogs that just don't like each other?  I don't know, maybe it has to do with their different smells.  Maybe it sounds stupid.....

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, I enjoy that program too and the most valuable thing I have learned that I didn't know before was about how dogs can pick up the slightest bit of human tension "through the leash" and how you carry yourself can negatively affect them. With this info, I've tried my best to relax my body, to appear confident, to give the impression that everything is cool, and not transmit fear or stress to my dog.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I don't have a dog and haven't had one since I was a little kid.  Both of my daughters have dogs.

I sit and watch the Dog Whisperer every Saturday (love that show).

I have to wonder and maybe give a dog a break maybe just like people there are dogs that just don't like each other?  I don't know, maybe it has to do with their different smells.  Maybe it sounds stupid.....

Miss know it all here ( meaning myself..lol)   But dogs are my first love !! 

The Dog Wisperer is the cruelest,most  unloving dog trainer I have ever seen in my life. I honestly do not know why he attracts any  viewers at all. You treat animals with love, the way you would like to be treated! Not with  force, or meanness and cruelty!!   JMHOP

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MalteseMomma, I know there are many who abhor Millan for his practices. I personally have never seen him exhibit any cruel treatment on his programs so I'm surprised to hear the accusations. In fact, just from his overall premise -- that there's nothing wrong with dogs, it's the humans who need to be trained -- I would think he has the utmost love and respect for the animals more so than humans. I have heard some say he edits out the cruel treatment from the episodes, but I have to say, the results do not show dogs that have been abused or mistreated. They all look happy and well adjusted. I respect your opinion, but I don't know what the truth really is where his practices are concerned.