Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reactive Dog - Need Your Advice

[ Edited ]

If you get a reaction from your rescue dog only on certain type animals or breeds ,it may be your rescue was used in a dog  fighting  ring  or as a  bait dog and was tramatized by it.

They  never forget this trama .

It takes a lot of love and patience for them to get over it  and some  may never get over it.

Poor babies  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy, the clicker is used to 1) distract the dog away from the source of the trouble, 2) cause the dog to focus on you (and the treat). Then 3) you hold the dog's attention with the treat until the trouble passes, and 4) you reward the dog with the treat for his good behavior. Repeating this procedure results in the dog identifying the sound of the clicker with the treat to come.

Timing is critical in this procedure. You never reward a dog while he is exhibiting bad behavior.

But thanks for the lesson. :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@CrazyDaisy, the clicker is used to 1) distract the dog away from the source of the trouble, 2) cause the dog to focus on you (and the treat). Then 3) you hold the dog's attention with the treat until the trouble passes, and 4) you reward the dog with the treat for his good behavior. Repeating this procedure results in the dog identifying the sound of the clicker with the treat to come.

Timing is critical in this procedure. You never reward a dog while he is exhibiting bad behavior.

But thanks for the lesson. :-)

Karen Pryor has some wonderful books on proper use of clicker training, or you can contine to do what you are doing and continue to get the same results. Up to you.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

We did not get results with clicker training because:

a) My dog is apparently not treat-motivated.

b) We do not encounter the situation often enough to have repeated reinforcement.

But thanks anyway. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

b) We do not encounter the situation often enough to have repeated reinforcement.

But thanks anyway. 

Not sure where you got your information concerning clicker training, but if used properly your dog does not have to be food motivated and will work in any situation.  It is a training method not a situational tool.  You asked for advice and then provide excuses why that will not work.  So I would suggest avoiding this dog.  Yours is only 15 lbs and you should be able to find some way to control him.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

But thanks anyway. 

Not sure where you got your information concerning clicker training, but if used properly your dog does not have to be food motivated and will work in any situation.  It is a training method not a situational tool.  You asked for advice and then provide excuses why that will not work.  So I would suggest avoiding this dog.  Yours is only 15 lbs and you should be able to find some way to control him.

Ok, thanks again. :-)

Super Contributor

SaRina

The groomer has known her for about 4 years and my vet for about 7 years.  I adopted her from a rescue when she was 3.  I did call the vet about the problem.  He said to walk a different way.  I told him that the other way leads to very busy streets which scare her.  Then he said that the growling showed she was scared.  He told me to start petting her and praising her before we got to the house.  Sort of like re-directing her.  Well, I can't walk her now because its too hot in Phoenix and the sidewalks would burn her paws.  Thats the best I have til he comes for his quarterly visit in August.  He's a mobile vet.  One thing he did say was that he felt her cognition has declined from last year.  I should have talked to him earlier, right after it happened.  Maybe it would be fine by now.  We can start walking again in September or October. 

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I have a long-haired chihuahua mix, about 15 pounds. I rescued him about 4 years ago and he is a senior. He lives to go outside and mingle with other dogs. Admittedly he prefers small dogs and is more indifferent to larger dogs.

We live in a highly dog-populated area. There is one boxer/pit mix that my dog reacts to negatively. He becomes extremely stressed, starts to shriek, and almost becomes airborne. Despite his small size, he is very strong and becomes hard to handle.  The other dog owner has sneered at me and said, "It's your problem, not mine" and stands there, refusing to move an inch. As dog lovers, I would hope she would make an attempt to walk in the opposite direction when she sees my dog so stressed. Maybe I'm asking too much, but that would be my first reaction to help out because I don't like to see anyone's animal stressed.

I have tried clicker and reward training, but so far that has not worked. It's like my dog becomes completely in his own world when he reacts to this one dog. Thankfully, we don't see that dog every day.

The only issue we have ever had is with this one dog. Otherwise, he loves other dogs. I'd like to know your thoughts and suggestions. 

Haven't read other posts yet, but my bedtime and Molly, my beagle, had to be the queen of reactive dogs. I was afraid to handle her when she got herself so worked up....20 lbs. of uncontrollable fur!! I learned from a trainer to grab her by her snout and hold her to the ground until she calmed down. Believe me, it was no small feat! In that state, this 13" beagle was strong, but at 100 lbs. I needed to be the alpha at all costs!! It took a lot of sessions. The trainer brought his dog to get Molly worked up so I could practice the "snout to the ground" technique. Of course, after Molly calmed down and stayed calm for a few minutes, she got the "Good Girl, Molly" and a treat...hot dog slices, Vienna sausages in a can, turkey pieces...something really special as a treat that she was willing to work for. Yes, she may slip up now & then, but I give her "the look" and she's learning to calm herself. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not trying to be rude but your responses seem to say you just wanted to vent and want people to tell you you're right for being mad. That doesn't solve your problem.