Honored Contributor

Re: Fur - Billie Eilish, MET Gala, Interesting!

[ Edited ]

YOU GO GIRL, LET'S BAN REAL FUR!Heart

Billie Eilish had just one condition if she was going to wear an Oscar de la Renta gown to the Met Gala ... the company had to stop selling fur. And, it obliged.

The "Happier Than Ever" singer gave the company a shout-out for the "BEAUTIFUL dress" she wore to Monday's highly-anticipated event in NYC. She particularly thanked ODLR for "bringing my ideas and vision to life."

Those ideas and vision? She wanted the brand to ditch fur -- not just for her gown, but for the whole label. She said, "It was an honor to wear this dress knowing that going forward oscar de la renta will be completely fur-free!!!!"

She added, "I am beyond thrilled that ... the entire team heard me on this issue, and have now made a change that makes an impact for the greater good, not only for animals but also for our planet and environment too. i'm honored to have been a catalyst and to have been heard on this matter."

Billie, who is vegan and an animal rights activist, reportedly had a meeting with the label about all of this and, in the end, the company's chief executive, Alex Bolen, agreed.

It should be noted ... the company hasn't used fur for its runway designs for years but fur products were still available in stores. According to the New York Times, de la Renta's own widow, Annette, has said the practice of selling fur products is "barbaric."

Thanks to Billie ... ODLR's going to be out of the fur business altogether, and she's urging ALL designers to do the same.

Courtesy of TMZ

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Billie Eilish, MET Gala, Interesting!

She looks beautiful in that pink dress.  I love her hair too.

Honored Contributor

Re: Billie Eilish, MET Gala, Interesting!

@Carmie 

She was channeling Marilyn Monroe and she did it beautifully, including that creamy, pale skin she has.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

Beautiful dress.  Beautiful ideals about no fur.  Love it!

Respected Contributor

I like real fur.

Where is it lately that one person or a group of people can impose their beliefs and force a company or a person to live up to their beliefs.

Wear what you want.

Honored Contributor

Whatever.  She looks absolutely gorgeous in that gown.  The hair, the make up. 

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I like real fur.

Where is it lately that one person or a group of people can impose their beliefs and force a company or a person to live up to their beliefs.

Wear what you want.

@Just Bling 

Well, good for you, enjoy wearing your fur.

She didn't FORCE any beliefs on anyone, she just said a condition of her advertising their brand for free at one of the biggest events of the year, meant that they would agree to no more selling real fur in their stores/fashions.

They CHOSE to agree with her, freedom of choice, remember?

Even Oscar de la Renta's widow said wearing real fur was "BARBARIC", so the company was already leaning that way and had removed all real fur from their runway shows.

Don't make this thread a battleground, that's not what it's intended to be.

Besides, Dennis Basso still has ya' covered, LOL!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

I like real fur.

Wear what you want.

@Just Bling 

Well, good for you, enjoy wearing your fur.

She didn't FORCE any beliefs on anyone, she just said a condition of her advertising their brand for free at one of the biggest events of the year, meant that they would agree to no more selling real fur in their stores/fashions.

They CHOSE to agree with her, freedom of choice, remember?

Even Oscar de la Renta's widow said wearing real fur was "BARBARIC", so the company was already leaning that way and had removed all real fur from their runway shows.

Don't make this thread a battleground, that's not what it's intended to be.

Besides, Dennis Basso still has ya' covered, LOL!

@KingstonsMom 

Bravo! Well stated and way

more "ladylike" than the reply

that I was going to post! Cat Mad

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I like real fur.

Wear what you want.

The company had the option of saying NO. No force was involved.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

She's unique, for sure, and the fur thing, good for her.

I have been reminded of Rickie Lee Jones, for the voice, though BE is decidedly more breathy.

Cogito ergo sum