Frequent Contributor

Our little Bonnie, toy poodle, (Inflamatory Bowel Disease) loves Dr. Marty Dog Food and it agrees with her. Bonnie is 16 and has had problems with eating anything other than cottage cheese, rice, meds and vitamins. We hve gradually been able to incorporate some beef products,salmon and vegetables over the years. Besides that she is a very picky eater.

A month or so ago I saw an ad for Dr. Marty dog food (video) on my iphone that made me want to give it a try. I was skeptical because it is freeze-dried raw meat and extras. The dog food package says it contains: 77% Turkey, Beef, Duck and Salmon...23% Veggies, Egg, Fruit, Seeds and Herbs...is Grain Free, Naturally Derived Vitamins and Minerals and Omega-3s, Flax + Probioticss For Healthy Digestion Support and is a Freeze-Dried Raw Diet.

Since she has been eating and begging for it, she seems more perky, eats her meals to completion and her stool has better consistency. You must know that it is pricy. 'Course so far she is being introduced to it very gradually and we've only been on it for a couple of weeks. The representatives on customer service have been friendly and helpful to us and our expectations are high for this food for Bonnie. If you G**gle Dr. Marty, there is much information for you to see. Hope that this post is helpful

Esteemed Contributor

@1920712 Our dog also has inflammatory bowel disease that was diagnosed at 9 months old.  While I don't buy Dr. Marty's dog food, his book has been my "go to" for a couple decades.  We were able to turn our dog around (for the most part) by putting him on raw food.  It has made a big difference. He still has episodes of bloody stool and other stool issues......I don't want to be too graphic.  I am also working with a holistic vet.  My husband happened to come across Dr. Marty's site for food.  He is really pushing flax and Omegas.  I have to be careful what I introduce to him dietwise.  I would rather spend $$ on good food than on vet bills.  I refused to go the steroid, immunosuppressant route, especially on a 9 month old dog.  He is going to be 3 this month and doing quite well.

I am glad you found something that works for you and your little Bonnie. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Frequent Contributor

@tends2dogsI'm so glad that your little dog is doing better. Don't give up hope. Bonnie has always beeen healthy except for this terrible and scary issue. She is on meds still, but not immosuppressive drugs. She has long been on Prednisone (down to 1/2  5mg tablet every 36 hours), Tylan powder 1/8 tsp daily, Proviable probiotic daily, Centrine when needed (we haven't needed it in probably 2 years), and Vitabiotics Wellbaby Multi-vitamin Liquid 1/2 tsp. daily. I know that prednisone is a terrible drug, but it has sure helped her and she has had a good life. Know that I am not a Dr. or a Vet, this is just what we've come down to and for her age, she is healthy and well. You are in my thoughts and I hope that your little one continues doing well.Thank you for your reply

Esteemed Contributor

I am happy that you came up with a program that works for your little girl.  It is a process, isn't it.? Thankfully, one day at a time.  Thanks for sharing what is working for you.

Wow, 16 years old........that is great!

New Contributor

I am  very fortunate to be able to take my dogs to the veternariy practice that Dr Marty founded and where  he practiced for many years; he is semi retired, although I still see him there. The Vets that treat my dogs were his partners. They are all amazing vets and it doeesnt surprise me at all  to hear good words about his food and his book.

He has really voiced his opinion about the dog food industry  and the poor ingredients they use in dog food. He is a true champion of animal health.

Honored Contributor

I've loved his book ever since it first came out and my dogs have benefited from his knowledge.

Martin Goldstein: The Nature of Animal Healing

The Nature of Animal Healing: The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide to Caring for Your Dog and Cat

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@1920712 

I'm so glad your Sweet Bonnie is benefitting from Dr. Marty's Food.  I hope it continues to work for her & she can be the perky little dog she was meant to be.  Smiley Happy  Heart

Most pet foods are pretty pricey but I can imagine with specialized food, it must really break the budget.  We have to do what's best.  Thank you for caring so much for Bonnie.    

Frequent Contributor

Thank  you all for your replies and responses

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I've loved his book ever since it first came out and my dogs have benefited from his knowledge.

Martin Goldstein: The Nature of Animal Healing

The Nature of Animal Healing: The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide to Caring for Your Dog and Cat

I have used this book so much, for so many years that I am on my second one.  It was written a long time ago, but it is still relevent.  I have emailed Dr. Marty a couple of times and have always gotten a response from HIM.  I asked him if he was ever going to update his book and he said there wouldn't  be a lot of changes, so no. 

It is available on Amazon, not expensive.  I have given it as gifts to new pet owners.

Respected Contributor

I am glad you found something that works for you.

doxie