Honored Contributor

Re: Rare or exotic colors in dogs

@dexwrote:

I want a French bulldog but I find it hard to purchase in my area.I don’t want to take a flight to pick up a puppy.

@dex  I have a french bulldog.  They are very special dogs.  Go to frenchbulldogclub dot org and click on Resources, then Breeder Listings.  It will give you a list of breeders in your state or states within driving distance.  When I was looking none of the breeders in my area had anything available, so I drove to another state several hours away and picked her up.

Whatever you do, do not get a blue french bulldog.  The blue color is not allowed for good reason.  They can develop blindness.  It also produces dogs with follicular dysplasia, which is gradual hair loss starting at a young age causing dry scaly skin susceptible to bacterial infections.  There isn't a cure and the condition becomes increasingly worth.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@dexwrote:

I want a French bulldog but I find it hard to purchase in my area.I don’t want to take a flight to pick up a puppy.

They are expensive where I live.. they cost thousands of dollars.  Recently someone dumped one less than a year old by throwing it out of a moving car on an interstate highway.  A mother and her daughter pulled over rescued him before he got hit.  I can’t imagine.  They must have stolen him and wanted to get rid of him before, they got caught.

If you have an expensive breed, you have to be careful that they don’t get stolen.  I watch my two like a hawk.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy   That Is true.  You must do your homework before you get a Puppy.

Esteemed Contributor

Same thing is going on on  the golden retriever commuity. People are breeding so called English cream and calling it rare. There is no such thing as a English cream. They are all golden retriever. Most of them charging more then a respectable breeder would even charge.

Respected Contributor

I had a St Benard  as tall as a great dane and short haired and half masked. Half masked is a bit rare. We had to put him down for he was so abnormally large and very  hostile. He would attack our  other dogs without reason. He put me in the hospital  and almost ended my life.  I think it had a lot  to do with inbreeding.  it is common with this breed so I heard. All thr St Benards we got from this breeder had to be put down for health reasons.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ponchoandgringo@NickNackHave you seen the MERLE Frenchies??? *shudder*

There's also "lilac" Frenchies.........personally, I don't want any color outside of the AKC breed standard, as they are accepted colors for a reason.......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillowwrote:

@ponchoandgringo@NickNackHave you seen the MERLE Frenchies??? *shudder*

There's also "lilac" Frenchies.........personally, I don't want any color outside of the AKC breed standard, as they are accepted colors for a reason.......

@YorkieonmyPillow   No, I haven't heard of merle frenchies.  Hopefully they won't become a thing like the blue ones are.  I did see a blue eyed frenchie one time.  That was the strangest thing.  I felt awful for the dog and hoped his health was okay.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau