Occasional Contributor

Rare or exotic colors in dogs

Please do not buy rare or exotic colors in dogs!!. As a breeder of French Bulldogs there is a surge in exotic or rare puppies being sold. These puppies are usually more expensive because they are "rare". They are rare because ethical breeders don't breed them because they have a slew of health problems like blindness, baldness, deafness to name a few. Ethical breeders have bred the dilute gene out of their breeding stock and do health testing on the parents ( eyes, hips, kness, back, kidney to name a few). PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON THE BREED. Read American Kennel Club Standard for the breed, go to a dog show and meet breeders and talk to them. Find breeders on the AKC website. Ethical breeders will take a puppy of theirs back usually at any stage of the puppys life if it doesn't work out. They have contract you sign to protect you and the breeder. All puppies are cute but what is behind it. It may be years of Vet bills!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Rare or exotic colors in dogs

I had a silver poodle.   And, yes, he was not too "bright"............but he more than made up for that with tons of LOVE!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Guess I would have to ask what you mean by breeding for exotc colors.  I know many ethical breeders that do set up breeding for specific colors.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Or you should just find one who needs a home. Cat Happy

National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day! #April30th #adoptdontshop #savealife #ALLlivesmatter #2016

Honored Contributor

I agree @ponchoandgringo.  I hate it when I see a blue french bulldog.  I see websites where blues are for sale.  They make it sound like they're better because they're rare.  I hate to see someone be taken in by that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@ponchoandgringowrote:

Please do not buy rare or exotic colors in dogs!!. As a breeder of French Bulldogs there is a surge in exotic or rare puppies being sold. These puppies are usually more expensive because they are "rare". They are rare because ethical breeders don't breed them because they have a slew of health problems like blindness, baldness, deafness to name a few. Ethical breeders have bred the dilute gene out of their breeding stock and do health testing on the parents ( eyes, hips, kness, back, kidney to name a few). PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON THE BREED. Read American Kennel Club Standard for the breed, go to a dog show and meet breeders and talk to them. Find breeders on the AKC website. Ethical breeders will take a puppy of theirs back usually at any stage of the puppys life if it doesn't work out. They have contract you sign to protect you and the breeder. All puppies are cute but what is behind it. It may be years of Vet bills!!!!

@ponchoandgringo. What? The 13” beagle we had before Sadie and Molly was from their same breeder. She was chocolate brown, tan and white with golden eyes & a pink nose...just gorgeous. Although not the usual reddish tan, black and white (brown eyes) & black shiny nose, she cost the same, had no health problems, a short silky coat like all beagles from this same show kennel and no health issues. She lived until 13 years old. 

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@ponchoandgringowrote:

@ponchoandgringo. What? The 13” beagle we had before Sadie and Molly was from their same breeder. She was chocolate brown, tan and white with golden eyes & a pink nose...just gorgeous. Although not the usual reddish tan, black and white (brown eyes) & black shiny nose, she cost the same, had no health problems, a short silky coat like all beagles from this same show kennel and no health issues. She lived until 13 years old. 

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info. 

878047A9-4931-4BC0-89B3-B9F0E466534F.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The OP is referring to unethical breeders who are purposely breeding dogs for the wrong reasons.

example:   At one time breeders would destroy a Boxer  puppy that was born with a white coat.  This color does not meet the breed standards, and many, but not all of them were deaf. 

Then, some breeders decided to let them live, charge a lesser price for them or even give them away for free, but have them spayed and neutered so that they would not breed.  They made great pets and it was cruel to destroy them because of their color.

Then, because these white boxers were not seen often, ( because they were destroyed) some unethical breeders decided to call them rare and sell them for a higher price than other colors.  When they could sell them fast and for more money, they decided to try to breed for only white puppies.

A white Boxer should not be bred at all.  Their recessive gene that causes them to be white, can also make them deaf.  

Many other breeds also are bred by unethical breeders to produce special colors  are not desirable, because the recessive genes that contribute  to the color also contribute to medical problems. These breeders do not care if they bring puppies into the world who are predisposed to medical problems, they are breeding for the money that can get from buyers who are unaware.  They are paying top price for a potentially sick dog.

Honored Contributor

I want a French bulldog but I find it hard to purchase in my area.I don’t want to take a flight to pick up a puppy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

The OP is referring to unethical breeders who are purposely breeding dogs for the wrong reasons.

example:   At one time breeders would destroy a Boxer  puppy that was born with a white coat.  This color does not meet the breed standards, and many, but not all of them were deaf. 

Then, some breeders decided to let them live, charge a lesser price for them or even give them away for free, but have them spayed and neutered so that they would not breed.  They made great pets and it was cruel to destroy them because of their color.

Then, because these white boxers were not seen often, ( because they were destroyed) some unethical breeders decided to call them rare and sell them for a higher price than other colors.  When they could sell them fast and for more money, they decided to try to breed for only white puppies.

A white Boxer should not be bred at all.  Their recessive gene that causes them to be white, can also make them deaf.  

Many other breeds also are bred by unethical breeders to produce special colors  are not desirable, because the recessive genes that contribute  to the color also contribute to medical problems. These breeders do not care if they bring puppies into the world who are predisposed to medical problems, they are breeding for the money that can get from buyers who are unaware.  They are paying top price for a potentially sick dog.

Not all color variations and or creations come from recessive genes associated with health issues. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.