Esteemed Contributor

Re: RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NEW SOFA FABRIC

I prefer having leather sofas and loveseats in my home.  The furniture is easy to wipe down and the dog hair doesn't stick to it.  I have fabric covered furniture in my family room and the dog hair sticks to it like glue (I have two collies so, of course, that's a lot of hair).  

Respected Contributor

If you are going to do leather you will need to splurge on the drum dyed leather to avoid the visible stratch marks. The drum dyed the color goes through so no white/light scratch marks in the leather.

We do this for chairs.

For a couch, where I want cozy; I went with PB slipcovered furniture.  Easy to wash and you can buy replacment covers as needed.  When a wet pup with muddy paws jumps on the sofa- no problem!

They send fabric samples.  The twill material is a tight weave.

Alternate View

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  Is PB Pottery Barn?  I've looked at their sofas and happy to hear you are satisfied with your purchase.

Honored Contributor

I have always had animals and always covered the furniture. My love seat is 35 years old and has only been reupholstered once. I did have a German Shepherd who actually ate my wicker porch furniture though.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl  Is PB Pottery Barn?  I've looked at their sofas and happy to hear you are satisfied with your purchase.

Yes it is PB.

This is the couch I have and with 2 VERY energetic dogs!!  I have had it for 6 years and so far so good.

I had to replace our last sofa after a dogs nail snagged the fabric and from there they dug a hole down to the frame in less than 20 mins.

Esteemed Contributor

We like rustic and bought our sofa and loveseat 27 years ago from This End Up (when they were still in the malls).  Now they are available online.  We replaced the loose cushions and covers once (also online).  This furniture is indestructible!  I have friends who like frequent change and they bought yardgoods enough to wrap each TEU cushions and fasten it with duct tape (you can't tell they aren't custom upholstered unless you are looking for it).

Valued Contributor

My sofa and chairs in my living room are made by Hickory Chair and are 30 years old and white and down filled. I am going to get them recovered with something more casual and Ilike the sounds of cordorory but not sure yet. My sitting room has an Sherrill very nice leather sofa and two henredon fireside chairs. The chairs here need to be recovered also so not sure yet what I will do. Recovering is also expensive but my furniture is so well constructed that I don't feel the need to buy new.

Beclyblu

Super Contributor

@Junker2327 My sofa is also Sherrill and well constructed. It it is over 20years old. It was recovered , and while the upholestry is pet friendly, I am so tired of the pattern. Do you live in NC? Easier to get great furniture here I think. 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Molly, our 5 year old beagle who ate/chewed our family room her 1st year, has now straightened out and w/ all the sales, we’re looking for new sofas. 

What fabrics/color do you find are easy to clean and not easily torn or pierced by dog’s toe nails?

@Shanus, I moved to a very small apartment 3 years ago, just me and my sweet Beagle Casey.  I had a custom chaise made from LoveSac in black velvet. It's beautiful and held up really well with the pup, (he passed away last year).  I had one of those gloves that removes pet hair and it worked beautifully on the material.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a faux suede scotchguarded fabric that is denser than most faux suedes. This overstuffed sectional has lasted for more years than I can remember. All of our dogs have used it and they all weighed 100+ pounds.  I would look for a denser fabric that has been treated at the origin, some thing that can be spot cleaned or steam cleaned. I think the design of the furniture helps. If you have a fitted style then the fabric doesn't seem to have enough "give" to it when dogs jump up and down. If it is a bit more "plump" it seems to adapt better to paws and movement. That's what I learned with all of our needs.