Honored Contributor

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NEW SOFA FABRIC

[ Edited ]

Molly, our 5 year old beagle who ate/chewed our family room her 1st year, has now straightened out and w/ all the sales, we’re looking for new sofas. 

What fabrics/color do you find are easy to clean and not easily torn or pierced by dog’s toe nails?

Super Contributor

Re: RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NEW SOFA FABRIC

I have researched this as well (cat and dog). Leather works well. If that isn’t ft for you, look for a tight weave that is not susceptible to claws. Also, it will be easier to remove fur. HTH. We’ll be looking at leather down the road.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a couch on order from smith brothers,factory in indiana ,i went with   a performance  fabric, don't get cotton,or linen,i am stillgoing to put a couch cover on it,or use blankets, i also think sunbrella fabic would be good,just did not have it in this brand i ordered.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I like dark fabrics that are closely woven.  You don't want to be replacing expensive couches annually so why not pick a style that has removeable, washable slipcovers?

Respected Contributor

Sorry.... I have to disagree about leather. If you touch leather with your fingernail the wrong way it will show a scratch mark. Imagine what a dog or cat would do to it.  Probably a tight weave fabric is your best bet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a cat and a dog and bought a new Sherrill sofa a few years ago.  It's a tightly woven fabric in taupe.  I wanted a lighter colored sofa than what I had.  It has held up well and doesn't get dirty.  I did have it Scotchguarded.  Your situation may be different, but I've been happy with the taupe color and the fabric.

fullsizeoutput_f5.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  First of all select a washable fabric (preferably slip covers) and when you get it home spray with Scotchguard to protect from stains and spills.  Believe it or not, I purchased my sofa from IKEA.  It is slip covered, looks like I got it from Pottery Barn.  The style of the sofa is 3 cushion seats and back plus the roll arms and I first chose off white and later purchased replacement slip covers for $40 at IKEA in khaki.  This sofa looks well in my contemporary home or it could work in country or other styles.  The Scotchguard worked because I spilled something and there was no trace of it.  My sofa is very comfortable seating at it was $399.  I believe the price is the same now.  Was is really nice is the cushions bounce back up and do not flaten out.  Oh, yes, I use to spend $2,000 on a sofa and for what.  I don't own it now so I learned my lession.  You have to assemble but it is basic placing   I have a cat and never had problems with her claws.  Best purchase I ever made.  I think the name of it is Ektrop or something like that.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I'm enjoying reading the posts here.  My go to used to be leather, but over the years my vegan lifestyle determines a lot of decisions that previously were not considered.  So I'm also looking for a fabric sofa.  I want something comfy, with high loose back cushions, large (probably L shaped), and the kind of sofa that feels like down (but definitely not down).  I have been looking for awhile.  The easy part is the color, a taupey-grey.  @Shanus I'm also looking for dog proof, but our 6 pound four-legged kid hardly makes a dent.  

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  pretty sofa, and I love the color.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@NickNack  pretty sofa, and I love the color.

Thank you @phoenixbrd!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau