Esteemed Contributor

Re: RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DOG FOOD WITH GRAINS

I was incorrect.  The ingredients below are for the ancient grain version.

The grain free version has sweet potatoes, potatoes and peas.

@Still Raining wrote:

Looks like grain to me.  Nice stuff, would feed my babies this.

Salmon, salmon meal, ocean fish meal, grain sorghum, millet, cracked pearled barley, dried yeast, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brown rice, smoked salmon, natural flavor, tomato pomace, salmon oil (a source of DHA), quinoa, chia seed, salt, potassium chloride, DL-Methionine, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack ...just checked again,  I see it with ancient grains...🙂.   The one I've been feeding clearly says, Grain Free.  Thanks again!

Also I thank everyone for your input!!

@Dazlin 

I hope you've solved your dog food dilemma by now.

Just a note to say that normally unless a food specifically says "Grain Free", it usually contains some sort of grain.  

Respected Contributor

I got Gabriel Taste Of The Wild today, with ancient grains.   Same formula he has been on, but now added grains.   I wont go into grains in detail, but I will say, its highly debatable whether they're good or bad for dogs.  It all started with dogs having skin issues,  so the blame was on the grains, like corn being one of them.   There hasn't been any further reports within 1 year about this claim.   I believe its entirely up to us to decide if our pets are having any issues after feeding certain foods.

Dog food manufacturers have added grains now, due to customer requests and veterinary suggestions.  My Vet said dogs need grains.  Gabriel is slightly overweight,  and has yeast infections in his ears...all WITH A GRAIN FREE DIET.  So I'm speaking specifically for Gabriel,  grains are NOT the cause of his problems.   Vet suggested grains for overall balance, lower calories, and feeling satisfied while feeling fuller.   Entirely up to the individual to meet your pets needs...with, or without.    I'm going to give this a try, WITH🙂.

Valued Contributor

My vet told me that even though she sells other dog foods, she personally buys Tractor Supply's "4 Health" brand for her 4 dogs. My dog is allergic to chicken, so I have to read labels very carefully because a lot of foods labelled "salmon" have chicken meal/fat in them. I buy the Salmon and Potato, and the quality of the ingredients is fantastic. It even has probiotics. And best of all, the food is very inexpensive!

Esteemed Contributor

Something you all may find interesting....  If you Google the Salt Divider you will find a little known fact that in the ingredient list, anything listed after salt is less than 1% of the ingredient deck.  So all those vitamins, fruits, and veggies listed are miniscule to say the least.  

FYI 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

My vet told me that even though she sells other dog foods, she personally buys Tractor Supply's "4 Health" brand for her 4 dogs. My dog is allergic to chicken, so I have to read labels very carefully because a lot of foods labelled "salmon" have chicken meal/fat in them. I buy the Salmon and Potato, and the quality of the ingredients is fantastic. It even has probiotics. And best of all, the food is very inexpensive!

@furbabylover   I had not heard of that food, so I looked it up in Dog Food Advisor.  I trust their evaluations of dog foods.  They give 4 Health a 4.5 star rating, which is excellent.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I don't have a dog in this discussion (literally), but seeing corn characterized as a grain interested me. I looked it up and found this on the USDA's website, thought it might be of interest to others:

Is corn a grain or a vegetable?

Jul 17, 2019
KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
Corn can be considered either a grain or a vegetable, based on when it is harvested. The maturity level of corn at harvest affects both its use at meals and its nutritional value. Corn that is harvested when fully mature and dry is considered a grain. It can be milled into cornmeal and used in such foods as corn tortillas and cornbread. Popcorn is also harvested when mature, and is considered to be a whole grain. On the other hand, fresh corn (e.g., corn on the cob, frozen corn kernels) is harvested when it is soft and has kernels full of liquid. Fresh corn is considered a starchy vegetable. Its nutrient content differs from dry corn, and it is eaten in different ways -- often on the cob, as a side dish, or mixed with other vegetables.
Esteemed Contributor

I order from Wet Noses and Fromm and they have a variety of foods. Fromm just added a grains included chow. The customer service is good on both sites. Hope your find what you are looking for your pet.  

Valued Contributor

Yes, I highly recommend Tractor Supply's products. My Maltese was suffering from terrible itching even though he had been through any number of high-end dog foods, even homemade food, and "4 Health" caused him to stop itching within 48 hours of eating it. I still can't believe a can of their food is $1.20 and a 5 lb bag of dry food is $7.99. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Farmina, with grains my dogs get this for the past year,and half. DO NOT BUY CHEAP DOG FOOD,LOOK AT INGREDIENTS.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.