Honored Contributor

Re: RAISED EATING BOWLS ~ YES OR NO? ~ ANY EXPERIENCES ?

@Nadine wrote:

Yes it was the cysto. Waiting on the culture. I am giving him probiotics also. They say rods in the urine, so don't know if thats a specific type of bacteria or what. This is a learning expierence for me.

This is a new vet and I really like him, he also has Danes so he's very familiar with the breed.

@Nadine okay good. Rods usually  are E. coli bacteria, That is what my dog has (occassionaly enterococcus as well, which is a more spherical or round type bacteria) when he gets his infectinons. I am glad you have a new vet familar with the breed. That should help!

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs thanks. Sadly, I am quite familar with bladder infections, cultures and ultrasounds since my boy has been dealing with this for 3 years now. Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I have always used raised eating bowls for my dogs.  Just read an article about them causing bloating in a dog.  I have never had that experience with any of my dogs.  My dogs are considered large breed and bloat can be a problem.  I don't know whether to use it with my new pup or not.

PET LOVERS, what do you use?

As a poodle mom to 2 toy-sized poodles, I have used the raised bowls for several years. This type of bowl helps to prevent arthritis and strain in their necks from bending over to eat. Our other toy poodle, who has gone onto heaven, loved the raised bowl in her latter years due to degenerative joint disease in her back--she found it easy to just sit and eat rather than stand and eat. So, these bowls provide options to you as your furry kids age and adjust to various health issues. No bloating problems for our girls; albeit, they have always maintained their girlish figures. I highly recommend!

Valued Contributor

I wonder why EColi is so hard to get rid of or in this case anyway. That may be why the vet is concerned. Another issue is with danes some antibiotics can cause joint damage.So he has to decide what to give him that won't  The two meds he had been on were broad spectrum so I would have thought hat would have gotten rid of it.

Thank you HappyDaze for your comments. I'm one worried puppy mama,

Didn't mean to hijak this thread about raised bowls.

Honored Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

I wonder why EColi is so hard to get rid of or in this case anyway. That may be why the vet is concerned. Another issue is with danes some antibiotics can cause joint damage.So he has to decide what to give him that won't  The two meds he had been on were broad spectrum so I would have thought hat would have gotten rid of it.

@Nadine well, things like crystals can cause issues but I am sure your vet will get to the bottom of it.  In my dog's case, we never have found any reason why he keeps getting them except that he is Cushingnoid- meaning he seems to have symptoms of Cushings (one of the signs of Cushings is re-occurring UTIs) but tests negative for the various tests for Cushings so who knows. We finally were able to get rid of his most recent infection which we were dealing with for over two months. I was so happy when he finally cleared it. I now have to test his urine once a month because, unfortuantely, my dog does not show any signs of having a bladder infection like most dogs do so we never have any indication of an infection unless we test. Like I said earlier, I think using the Mannose really helps keep the bacteria from sticking to the bladder walls which can cause most of the issues so maybe that is why he doesn't really show signs? He is quite the enigma! We test him next week and just praying he is still clear. It is frustrating and worrisome. I really hope you find the reason as to why he is getting the infection.  At least when you find a culprit, you can deal with it and fix it. It is much more frustrating when you can't find a reason. I know you are a worried mama but hang in there, your vet sounds on top of it.

Valued Contributor

I agree, it helps to know the vet is on top of it, again , thanks for your comments.

Valued Contributor

Forgot to mention that the vet said I could add a little lemon juice to his water and it would help flush out the bladder. He said not much because we don't want him to stop drinking water.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

@Nadine  No problem, we are all here to help!  Hope your vet can come up with something soon to help your Logan.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

Thanks Tend2dogs, Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Yay, I found someone close to home who will build a feeder for me and I can design it.  I'm thinking something with a tile top.  My dog is a sloppy drinker so I think tile would stand up better over time than plain wood.