Esteemed Contributor

RAISED EATING BOWLS ~ YES OR NO? ~ ANY EXPERIENCES ?

I have always used raised eating bowls for my dogs.  Just read an article about them causing bloating in a dog.  I have never had that experience with any of my dogs.  My dogs are considered large breed and bloat can be a problem.  I don't know whether to use it with my new pup or not.

PET LOVERS, what do you use?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: RAISED EATING BOWLS ~ YES OR NO? ~ ANY EXPERIENCES ?

[ Edited ]

Actually we used raised bowls to help minimize the chances of bloat. We use raised bowl and always will for many reasons, including to help minimize bloat. I don't know of any Dane owner that does not use raised bowls and very few have ever had bloat issues in all the many many years of rescuing and raising danes. In all my years of raising giant and large breeds (danes are Giant breeds, not large breeds), we only had one bloat and that was probably due to the stress of a german shepherd biting him and then losing our other dog a few days prior to that. He is a dog that holds his stress inside, very stoic dog, so I think stress and trauma was his trigger.

Although they don't know exactly what causes bloat, some of the biggest keys to helping prevent it is not to let your dog run around and play hard an hour before and a few hours after he eats. That is huge. Also, not letting them drink large amounts of water at one time. I have to really watch one of mine who does not drink throughout the day only when fed (he is a rescue so I have a feeling they withheld water except at feeding time) so he will drink and drink and drink until he throws up or excessivley burps if I am not careful. That is very bad. Also minimizing stress, especially for Danes which tend to be super sensitive dogs. And smaller portions of food a few times throughout the day rather than one or two large portions.

Honored Contributor

I've never used them, but I don't have giant breeds. We also feed prey model raw so for my GSD she basically picks up the whole piece of meat on bone in her mouth, bites down 2-3 times to break the bones and swallows it. So the bowl height isn't going to change that. From what I've heard, processed commerical dog food has 5x the rate of bloat than raw feeding does. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I've read the same thing as HappyDaze--that a raised bowl reduces the chance of bloating.

I used raised bowls for years for our little Lhasa because she had back problems and her vet recommended them.  I started using raised bowls with our current Rottweiler when she was about six months old and it looked like she was having to work to get down far enough with her bowls on the floor (she's a pretty big girl).  And I figured the bloating issue was just a plus.

Occasional Contributor

We had  a Golden Retriever  and we had raised bowls for  her.   It is much easier  to eat  or  drink  for the dog.    She passed  away  last October and I miss her so much.    We have a much smaller dog now.   We have a King Charles spaniel.   My  golden retriever was more my  style.  

Esteemed Contributor

you may have read it backwards

Respected Contributor

I put Story's food bowl (greyhound) up on a chair just because it is easier for her to eat. With greyhounds, you wait 45 minutes after they eat before walking your dog and don't feed them anything for 45 minutes after they walk.  It's a bloating thing again.  Have never had a problem following those rules. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

you may have read it backwards

Wouldn't be the first time, LOL!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Well, now I am thinking that I did read it wrong LOL.  I read so many articles on pet's that it is very possible.

Anyway, I got out the smaller of the stands that I have for dog bowls for our puppy, Willie.  He didn't know what to make of it at first.  He has to smell it, with stretched neck, stretched legs, so cute!  This will help to hold his bowl in one place.  He usually has it all over trying to lick it clean.

We will see how it goes and thanks to all for setting me straight!

Honored Contributor

Gosh, I never even knew this was an issue.  My tall Golden Retriever's bowls are on the floor.  He eats well and goes out right after he's finished, running to his potty area and around the yard.  Now y'all have me wondering if we've just been lucky and if we should raise his bowls.