Valued Contributor

Re: RABIES SHOTS AND INSIDE DOGS, HOW DO YOU FEEL

If your vet treats your dog and the vet techs and anyone else at the vet office gets bitten or scratched by your dog, they could get rabies.  My vet didn't insist on rabies shots but if I chose not to do it he would send my records to any other vet but would not treat my dog.  I listened and understood and had my dog get rabies shots every three years (the 3 year shot).  At some point I did not have all the other shots done and he was okay with that but still recommended them.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

One thing I needed to add to my reply is that experts are all over the map when it comes to how often dogs need to be vaccinated. Check online, you'll see what a I mean. 

@Mindy D   Yes, I have read a lot online, and you can guess whose side I am on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@mousiegirl - I asked DH about this and he didn't hesitate. He said yes - it's better to be safe than sorry. He said you never know what he/she could be exposed to. FWIW. 

Esteemed Contributor

Put me in the against column.  First the initial "puppy shots" should not be given until 4 months old.  They still have the mother's antibodies.  It isn't going to immunize the dog. This giving numerous puppy shots is a real money maker and does nothing but harm the dog.  

Only one rabies shot is needed for protection.  We gave our guy one at close to 2 years old.  He has IBD and we, along with our holistic vet, were reluctant to put him through it.  If it wasn't the law, I would never have done it.  Anyway, he had a reaction and the vet said she would write him an exemption for future rabies.  We do, however, titer him and guess what folks, he still shows immunization. There is a lot of research being done on how long rabies vaccination protection lasts.  There is also much study being done to the harm of overvaccinating.  

Luckily I have always worked with vets that LISTEN to me and what I want for my dog.  I am my dog's advocate.  I have done a lot of reading on this.  The info is out there is you wish to find it.  

BTW titering is not that expensive compared to bringing all the shots "up to date".  Vaccinations trigger a host of problems  - skin, ear problems, emotional, on and on.

I vote NO.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@mousiegirl  I took my 17 year old Jack Russell, Krypto for his 3 year rabies shot this week. I really hated to take him, it was raining and he hated windshield wipers. 
  I couldn't go in due to the pandemic, but called ahead to tell them how to handle him, etc and wrote it all down as well. 
  I was afraid of a reaction, but he  seemed fine and I was home with him all day watching him.

Due to my wooded area there are many wild animals and we walk multiple times daily, I think mine need protection but I'm dreading  taking Snickers for hers since she did have a reaction the last time. 

If your dog had a reaction, it should never be vaccinated again.  Have them do a titer instead.  Your vet can write you an exemption from the rabies shot.

Esteemed Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

If your vet treats your dog and the vet techs and anyone else at the vet office gets bitten or scratched by your dog, they could get rabies.  My vet didn't insist on rabies shots but if I chose not to do it he would send my records to any other vet but would not treat my dog.  I listened and understood and had my dog get rabies shots every three years (the 3 year shot).  At some point I did not have all the other shots done and he was okay with that but still recommended them.

The one year and the 3 year are exactly the SAME shot, same dose.  Small dogs are given the same dose as large dogs.  

As far as the other shots, they are not required by law.  If your dog is not a puppy, they don't need those.  They are for puppy diseases.  If you board or take your dog to a groomer they may require all the shots.  I would find another place to go.   JMHO

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is a video of a dog with rabies.

https://youtu.be/mr3TfXdVSnA 

If you can stomach your dog suffering through this, then don't vaccinate.

As for me, I love my furbabies, and will protect them from contracting this horrible disease, where the only "cure" is to kill them .

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I live in an area with a lot of wildlife; raccoons, skunks and many coyotes.  There's no way I would not have my dogs vacinated for rabies, not just for their protection but for my own.  There are many parts of my state were rabid animals are reported every year.  @mousiegirl    What do you mean there's no way a dog could get rabies?  It's not at all unusual for it to happen.

This antivax line of thinking is what has caused a resurgence of childhood diseases.  To not get immunizations against potentially fatal diseases is IMO irresponsible.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I live in an area with a lot of wildlife; raccoons, skunks and many coyotes.  There's no way I would not have my dogs vacinated for rabies, not just for their protection but for my own.  There are many parts of my state were rabid animals are reported every year.  @mousiegirl    What do you mean there's no way a dog could get rabies?  It's not at all unusual for it to happen.

This antivax line of thinking is what has caused a resurgence of childhood diseases.  To not get immunizations against potentially fatal diseases is IMO irresponsible.

@Kachina624   You obviously did not read my initial post - INSIDE DOGS, and your second paragraph shows you did not read my previous reply post.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had 3 ittle Poms that after their first shots I never had the vet give them to them again.  My girls feet never hit the ground other than in their own yard. We carried them whenever they were out with us.  They had as much chance of coming in contact with any of the diseases as I did. Our oldest went to the bridge at 15 1/2 years and the middle one left us at 16 1/2 years.  The baby will be 15 this year. I don't regret not giving them all those shots one bit.  Our vet was OK with that.  If I had outside dogs and lived in an area where Rabies was a big problem, then I would have to give them their shots.  IMO It depends on where you live and how much your pets could be exposed.