Honored Contributor

Re: RABIES SHOTS AND INSIDE DOGS, HOW DO YOU FEEL

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Here is a video of a dog with rabies.

https://youtu.be/mr3TfXdVSnA 

If you can stomach your dog suffering through this, then don't vaccinate.

As for me, I love my furbabies, and will protect them from contracting this horrible disease, where the only "cure" is to kill them .

@Anonymous032819   I knew there would be people who would not read my post completely.

Honored Contributor

A wild animal known to carry rabies, would have to come into my house, bite me, then go after the dogs in order for my dogs to be exposed to rabies.  If my dogs were out and roaming around where wild animals were, I would not hesitate for the rabies, but as I said, there should be exceptions

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You never walk your dogs?

A rabid animal can happen anywhere.

A rabid animal would not have to come in to your house.

Any time your dog(s) is outside, they are exposed to the possibility of contracting rabies.

If they do get sick, do not come boo-hooing here, especially if it's a disease that could've been prevented with a simple vaccination.

I'll have sympathy for the animal, but none for the irresponsible owner who allowed the illness to happen by not vaccinating.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I'd bet there are very few truely only indoor dogs who NEVER are put out in the yard or go for a walk or a grooming or a playdate or playgroup or boarding. It is required in a lot of states by law because Rabies Kills People.  And about that "No Way to get rabies inside."  I Can tell you for a fact that Old houses or houses in wooded areas can have a BAT get indoors.  Also if your dog is NOT vaccinated as required by the law of the state and bites someone,  your pet will at mimimum  be required to be quarrentined.  Veterinarians can and do run Rabies titers. Many destinations of travel for a pet Required a Rabies titer status for export.  Weather or not  a titer is accepted by the State is another matter. 

Better safe than Sorry is a good way to look at a deadly thing like Rabies.

Honored Contributor

Things have changed from back in the days when dogs did not have to get rabies or any shots regularly.  It's the law for rabies shots and you can never be sure your dog will never be in a situation where they will be exposed to another animal or a person coming to your house could be bitten and your dog could be removed from your house and possibly euthanized.  Even  carrying a dog does not guarantee they won't get loose - you could stumble loose your grip on them or fall.   Too risky.  Dogs have been removed from homes due to not having rabiers shots for their dogs.  There are experimental titer studies on other vaccines but not rabies shots and other shots needed for kennels and grooming places still.  Vets should not be regularly treating any dog without a rabies vaccine or they could be fined.  

My ferret and dog vets both give a benadryl shot 15 minutes before any shots and make you wait a half hour before leaving after any shots in case of a reaction.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My neighbor died suddenly last Fall and she had two dogs and a cat.  Suddenly her family was trying to find homes and/or take them in themselves.   

Looking back that is one of the reasons dogs get vaccinated, you can never guess what will happen to a pet through their life and the health of everyone they come into contact is important.

A neighbor could have gotten the dog, let him run outside in their wooded lot not really being being tuned into shots until much later.  

I know there is a cost, but I suspect to all of us there is a higher cost if this was not the law.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  I agree with everything you said!  My best advise is to look into going to a natural vet VS on using traditional medicine.  They are more  understanding about  not wanting to over  vaccinate your  pet.

I too will not give my dog. Rabies shots every Three years as my state says is law. Especially old dogs...no rabie shots at all. The shots are good for much longer, but, pharmaceutical companies push them as they are big money makers. 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Here is a video of a dog with rabies.

https://youtu.be/mr3TfXdVSnA 

If you can stomach your dog suffering through this, then don't vaccinate.

As for me, I love my furbabies, and will protect them from contracting this horrible disease, where the only "cure" is to kill them .

@Anonymous032819   One rabies shot lasts many years....possibly a lifetime....to keep giving the dog a shot over and over  again  is dangerous and is just to make money. 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   We had a small dog snatched by a Coyote while it was standing within a foot of it's its owner in their yard while out to pee.  Coyote got away with the pup.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

In Hawaii, our dogs don't have to get rabies shots; they only have to get one if moving here or leaving.  We do not have rabies in Hawaii.  Our little feller was born here so he has never had one.  If I recall, prior to moving here, I think there was discussion about whether or not they are even necessary annually (on the mainland, not here); perhaps only every 3 years.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.