Respected Contributor

Questions about Himalayan cats

Hi everybody; I'd  like to pick you brains about the Himalayan cat breed.

About 14 months ago, my DH and I adopted an elderly--16 years old--Himalayan cat, and we only know this breed from our little old lady. She's very sweet and affectionate, and quite vocal. I should also add, her voice is hoarse and I don't know if it's her, or the breed. She's pretty clingy too, but, again, I don't know if that's just her or is it characteristic of the breed.

I'm speculate, sometimes, if the clinginess is because she lived with another family for 16 years and apparently they didn't want to be bothered with her anymore (they sure didn't want to be bothered with her scratching since they DECLAWED her too Cat Mad.)  So I'm wondering if this sudden change in her life has left her feeling insecure and so on. Or is this just part of the personality of this breed.

I have never adopted because of breed but if the opportunity presents itself, I'd love to adopt another Himmie. Not only are they beautiful (she's a seal point, if that' significant and it isn't to me, although she's extraordinarily pretty) but I love her quiet, sensitive, loving and sometimes michevious personality.

BTW, she apparently isn't bothered about being declawed, or doesn't know she is. She'll go to a scratching post and work her paws just as if she were actually clawing. Kind of weird, but if her previous..."family"...couldn't be bothered with her to the point where they cut of the tips of her paws, I'm glad they gave her up so someone who actually would care about her could adopt her.  (I don't mean to rant but declawing a cat really infuriates me.)

Respected Contributor

Re: Questions about Himalayan cats

i believe that some/many states have outlawed the declawing of cats. horrid thing to do to a animal

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   I've had two persians but never a Himalayan.  I do think they're beautiful cats.  My persians were both extremely affectionate, and they are supposed to have very similar personalities to Himalayans.  Bless you for adopting a senior cat.

You mentioned that she's very vocal.  If she's really loud and vocal that could indicate kidney failure.  Have you mentioned this to your Vet?  Maybe that's not what you meant at all. 

I do wish you more years of happiness with your cat.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

She sounds very typical of a senior aged female cat, not necessarily a Himalayan. But I do understand how much you appreciate her affectionate companionship. That breed is particularly loyal and bound to its caretakers, so her clingy ways are natural. Otherwise your girl is mostly an older cat who clearly enjoys her life with you and DH. 

I'm not sure if your inquiry means you seek another Himalayan soon, or as your next cat. I would be extremely wary of bringing any other cat, Himalayan, other purebred, or just a domestic shorthair type, into the house any time now. Your cat has been with you for barely over a year and may still be settling on her habits and preferences. She is 16, healthy but still a senior, and will resent and not enjoy another cat's sharing the household and your affections. Older cats like to stay "in charge" and feel uncontested and doted upon. They don't have patience for the energy of a younger animal. Plus, female cats are notoriously territorial. They most resent adding another female and may only tolerate a male instead of fighting as they do with a female rival. For all these reasons, I urge you to consider another Himalayan, but not while this dear creature still lives with you.

I agree with your strong objection to declawing. It's now illegal in many states, including New York. Remember, your currrent pretty kitty is defenseless against any cat you bring into the home who still has claws. Love her until the end of her days and enjoy another like her for a future adoption.

I also recommend the Burmese breed. Just as vocal, enormously affectionate and companionable, ( mine were like dogs, following me an d loving to play fetch!) but far less maintenance, with short dense fur and very little shedding. They live very long, like the Himmies. 

Respected Contributor

nick nack--

Yes, her vet knows how vocal she is and has never indicated she thought there was a problem with that. 

Come to think of it, bloodwork shows that her kdneys are a little "iffy" but so far we haven't had to medicate her. We might have to, eventually, but for now her vet is just keeping an eye on her blood draw results.

Her vocalizations can be quite funny; she always gives us a big howl to notify us she's finished eating. I've never had a cat who did that before; we were a little worried at first but now we recognize that she's just telling us she finished eating. Cat Tongue She's a real character sometimes.

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

She sounds very typical of a senior aged female cat, not necessarily a Himalayan. But I do understand how much you appreciate her affectionate companionship. That breed is particularly loyal and bound to its caretakers, so her clingy ways are natural. Otherwise your girl is mostly an older cat who clearly enjoys her life with you and DH. 

I'm not sure if your inquiry means you seek another Himalayan soon, or as your next cat. I would be extremely wary of bringing any other cat, Himalayan, other purebred, or just a domestic shorthair type, into the house any time now. Your cat has been with you for barely over a year and may still be settling on her habits and preferences. She is 16, healthy but still a senior, and will resent and not enjoy another cat's sharing the household and your affections. Older cats like to stay "in charge" and feel uncontested and doted upon. They don't have patience for the energy of a younger animal. Plus, female cats are notoriously territorial. They most resent adding another female and may only tolerate a male instead of fighting as they do with a female rival. For all these reasons, I urge you to consider another Himalayan, but not while this dear creature still lives with you.

I agree with your strong objection to declawing. It's now illegal in many states, including New York. Remember, your currrent pretty kitty is defenseless against any cat you bring into the home who still has claws. Love her until the end of her days and enjoy another like her for a future adoption.

I also recommend the Burmese breed. Just as vocal, enormously affectionate and companionable, ( mine were like dogs, following me an d loving to play fetch!) but far less maintenance, with short dense fur and very little shedding. They live very long, like the Himmies. 

Hi. No, I don't plan to bring another cat into our family. I think that would upset Missy a great deal so we'll just see what the future brings. Right now all we're focused on is keeping her healthy and happy.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

nick nack--

Yes, her vet knows how vocal she is and has never indicated she thought there was a problem with that. 

Come to think of it, bloodwork shows that her kdneys are a little "iffy" but so far we haven't had to medicate her. We might have to, eventually, but for now her vet is just keeping an eye on her blood draw results.

Her vocalizations can be quite funny; she always gives us a big howl to notify us she's finished eating. I've never had a cat who did that before; we were a little worried at first but now we recognize that she's just telling us she finished eating. Cat Tongue She's a real character sometimes.

@GoneButNotForgotten   It sounds like Missy found a wonderful home and you and your husband found a wonderful companion.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I responded to your previous post and I will add my input as a multi-cat owner for almost half a century, having bred two litters of Himmys, and showing my Himmy cat a few times, I believe I have some experience.

First of all, I find with all my cats as they age they become more "clingy."  The elderly cat enjoys human affection and wants to be near its owner.

A few of my very old cats would want to sleep on my chest or back all night!  My oldest cat I ever owned was almost twenty when she passed.

The more comfortable a cat is with you, the more vocal it will be.  Cats communicate with HUMANS by being vocal, not really with each other, except if the female is in heat and calling. Your cat's voice may be hoarse because she is older.

I prefer a multi-cat household, but I only introduce kittens.  Bringing an adult female once into the family created hostilities that lasted for more than a decade.  However, all of my kittens have bonded with each other, and now all my cats love and care for each other.  I have six cats, two male tabbies, three Himmy females, one Shaded Silver Persian (she is tiny, only 5 pounds full grown but the most vocal, and will bite my nose and lick my face to wake me!).

I like that my younger cats have memories of the older cats and have learned from them.

Cats teach each other, watch each other, and learn from each other. Cats like to play cat games with each other and smell each other.  Cats that care for each other will groom each other and cuddle up together as they sleep.

If your cat has now become established in your home, I do not think there would be any problem introducing a kitten and letting them adapt to each other.

Most breeders will not sell to anybody planning to declaw their cats, and many adoption centers make people sign a contract for this as well, although how to enforce that is debatable. It should be that vets should refuse to perform the procedure.

P.S. I also have two dogs and a cage of parakeets, and in the past some fish. I call my home a menagerie of love!

Respected Contributor

You have had your iittle girl for over a year so she should be settled into your homelife by now.  Is this vocalizing New or somethng she came to you with?  When did she have her bloodwork done? at 16 years old  things can go wrong within weeks or months so best to keep up with the motoring.  If her kidney function was iffy check it again.  also check her thyroid. Some geriatric cats are just like people and want the security of someone near by.  Changes in Vocalizing and  increased activity should be looked into.  But if she's always been a talker then maybe it's just her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten 

You are a fortunate Mama!  I have been owned by 4 Himies, all of whom came to me as foundlings.  

They were loving, friendly, sociable, funny, and so very sweet. As a cat owner all my life, they were the most affectionate, attentive, intuitive, funny cats I have ever known.

Kisses and Good Wishes to your lady. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras