Honored Contributor

Re: Question regarding ear cleaning for a dog

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

My dog had a couple of ear infections last year.  The Vet cleaned her ears out well and gave me drops to put in three times a week.  I now use TrizUltra Keto Flush for dogs once a week.  She hasn't had an ear infection since.  My Vet sells it, but I have ordered it from Amazon, and it's much less than it was at the Vet's.

It sounds like your Vet did the right thing since others on here know what this treatment is.  I've never heard of giving a shot for an ear infection.

How do you put in in their ears? Is it easy? My dogs doesn't like it when you get near the ears.

@missy1  I put her on my bed so it's easier for me to do it.  Then I just squirt a little in her ear and hold it in with a cotton ball.  I hold it for a short time and do her other ear the same way.  Then she shakes her head.  She didn't like it at first, and still doesn't really, but it gets much easier.

When we went to the Vet recently for her annual exam the Vet said her ears looked great.  That very much makes it worth it to do this for her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

We have an excellent vet and also go to the upstate specialty vet for advanced treatments and emergency care. It is common for the vet techs to do a lot of treatments. It seems the new trend is to take your pet to the back for a lot of things like ear cleaning, nail clipping etc. I have not had any of my dogs get a shot for an ear infection.....just cleaning and drops in the home after the vet staff did the initial treatment. I have hounds and they are at risk for ear infections due to their floppy ears. They need routine cleaning and monitoring. I currently have a bassett and a coon hound, so I know ears. I also suspect the shot was a steroid for swelling and inflammation of the ears causing a lot of discomfort. Give it some time.

That's what I thought the shot was for too. Makes sense.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Get  Zymox Otic  Enzymatic Solution  (Amazon) or anywhere I guess .It is the very best you can buy. I have used it with wonderful results on all the dogs in my life. . Also get the Zymox Ear Cleanser.

The ears will clear up immediately and not return most of the time.

Good luck with your furbabies ears     Smiley Happy

I am sure many others will recomend this great ear product

@Julie928  This is what I use now.  My Golden was having issues with inflamed ears and black coming out when I tried to clean his one ear.  I used this product every day for two weeks and today his ears are pink, clean and fresh smelling! I clean his ears with the same product once a week and now for the past 4 months his ear issues are gone.

I saved an expensive$$$ vet trip and all the issues with having THEM clean the ears and upset my dog..

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Get  Zymox Otic  Enzymatic Solution  (Amazon) or anywhere I guess .It is the very best you can buy. I have used it with wonderful results on all the dogs in my life. . Also get the Zymox Ear Cleanser.

The ears will clear up immediately and not return most of the time.

Good luck with your furbabies ears     Smiley Happy

I am sure many others will recomend this great ear product

2nd vote for Zymox Otic Enzymatic solution, our vet highly recommends it and it works great. It gets deep into the ear canal and solves the scratching/itching.

Super Contributor

Other posters have given you great advice on cleaning/caring for the ear issues, but have you investigated to try and find out what is causing the ear issues?

In my experience with my dogs, it almost always started with allergies to something. Years ago, my English Bulldog had to be treated for ear infections every couple of months so I did a little investigating and found out that dogs can have food allergies (common knowledge now, but not back when this happened). I put him on a grain-free diet and he never got another ear infection. I currently have a Dogue de Bordeaux that seems to be allergic to just about everything ... food-related and environment-related. She's now on a hypoallergenic/hydrolyzed protein food and gets 4 Zyrtec/day ... rarely has dirty ears and hasn't had an ear infection in over 5 years.

I recommend you do some investigating on your own and try and find out what triggers the ear problems.

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Many thanks again to all who responded.  I will definitely look into the solution so many of you mentioned.  It's interesting that allergies were brought up.  Our vet hasn't said this might be the cause, but a friend of mine mentioned this.  The vet thinks it's because she has such long, floppy ears.  She is much, much better today.  I am grateful for that as I was so worried.  Many of you may know that we adopted her this past November after we lost our beautiful Dres.  Paisley hasn't had a fair shake in life until we found each other.  She had two different homes that ultimately returned her because she is (as they put it) a "handful."  We love her dearly and want only the best for her.  Thanks again, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Vet techs are the backbone of any clinic.  Here is a read worthy piece written by one.

She’s Just A Vet Tech
by BRITNEY GREENE
September 27, 2015 For Pet Lovers
JUST a Vet Tech greeted you at the door with a smiling face, even though we’ve been running around for 11 hours straight. Your pet was assessed by JUST a Vet Tech and, when we noticed he wasn’t stable, JUST a Vet Tech carried your 70 plus pound dog to the back and screamed for a doctor.
Once the doctor assessed your pet, JUST a Vet Tech placed the IV catheter and started to bolus fluids. JUST a Vet Tech got a blood pressure on your pet today and administered medications because his blood pressure was low. JUST a Vet Tech drew blood and ensured it got run as quickly as possible. JUST a Vet Tech wrestled your dog to get x-rays today, with the help of an assistant. When we found that your pet needed surgery, JUST a Vet Tech made certain he was stable throughout the procedure. When your pet left the surgery suite, JUST a Vet Tech sat with him to make sure he recovered with no problems.

JUST a Vet Tech got vitals on your pet every couple of hours today and reported all issues to the doctor on duty. JUST a Vet Tech noticed your pet was painful and asked the doctor to administer more pain medications. JUST a Vet Tech sat with your pet today and gave him love while you were at work. JUST a Vet Tech told your pet that he wasn’t there forever, only until he got better. JUST a Vet Tech promised your pet you’d be back for him.

Just a Vet Tech took your dog outside for a walk today. When we realized he was cramped up in that cage and his legs were stiff, JUST a Vet Tech walked your pet around the building at his pace to ensure he got proper exercise. Your pet got a lot of fluids today and couldn’t control his bladder. He’s still so weak. JUST a Vet Tech checked and changed his bedding so he didn’t have to lay in his urine. JUST a Vet Tech administered all your pets medications today.

Your pet was scared (this is a new place with new people), and he was fearfully trying to bite me. JUST a Vet Tech took the time and did everything possible to show him that we weren’t going to hurt him. He accidentally wiped his stool on me when he sat in my lap today. It happens after surgery. But, that’s okay, he didn’t mean it. JUST a Vet Tech cleaned him up nice for you.

I’m so sorry to tell you, your pet had a rough night last night. He took a turn for the worse. You’re letting your pet go today. JUST a Vet Tech understands how hurt you are, and brought you tissues. You were too upset to see your dog leave the world today. JUST a Vet Tech hugged and loved him as he crossed the bridge today. JUST a Vet Tech went home emotionally drained because all the hard work didn’t pay off today. JUST a Vet Tech will do it again tomorrow.

Remember this the next time you call someone JUST a Vet Tech. We are JUST an important part of your pet’s care. And we care about your pet.
Sincerely,
JUST a Vet Tech
Michelle GreeneBritney Greene works full-time at a Pet Emergency Hospital in Maryland, and she absolutely enjoys her job. In her spare time, Britney has two children and is pursuing her Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology.

Honored Contributor

@Julie928  First off all, a vet tech is an actual trained position - not just a kid doing grunt work.  Generally speaking, an ear cleaning would be something they are fully competent to do while the vet is attending to another patient in need of care.  It's a common practice for a vet to let the techs do this kind of thing, nail trimming, etc.  

We have a Golden Retriever.  Dirty ears, and even ear infections, can be more prevalent in breeds with floppy ears.  I was always treating him with either the Zymox product that was mentioned or Virbac Epi-Otic - applied to a gauze pad and wrapped around my finger to wipe out his ears.  

Last year, I read about giving dogs wild caught Alaskan salmon oil, that it was a better option than regular fish oil for their general health and to also prevent inflamation, and I was compelled to give it a try.  Within a very short time, I noticed that my dog no longer had gunk in his ears.  I've continued to give it to him daily and his ears are never dirty anymore.  What a pleasant surprise benefit!  You might consider adding it to your dog's diet and see if her ears improve.

Honored Contributor

One of my goldens got a ear infection,last week i ordered ECO EARS,it is organic i am thrilled with it ,highly recommend.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.