Trusted Contributor
We lost our beloved 18 year old female cat last September. We also have a 13 year old female cat. We are thinking about adopting a kitten from the humane society. The kitten has been vaccinated and spayed and checked for the usual diseases. My 13 year old cat had surgery for cancer two years ago and almost died from the distemper vaccine 3 years ago. The humane society says my 13 year old needs to be updated on her rabies vaccine which she had 3 years ago. The vet said she will be okay and not need a distemper vaccine. I am worried about her having the rabies vaccine because she is an indoor only cat and I'm concerned about the dangers of her having the vaccine. Maybe I just don't adopt. What to do?? Any advice is appreciated.
Respected Contributor

Every cat is different and its case history with your vet is important.  I had to discontinue vaccines with one of my cats as each time he had it the reaction was worse, until he had to be rushed back for ER treatment. No more distemper or rabies vaccines for him.

Another cat developed large cysts/bumps from the shots under her skin; vet said no more, and she was fine for the rest of her life, about 10 years. My other cats have had vaccines with no problems.  Each cat is different. 

I wouldn't risk the health of your present cat with vaccines that might be dangerous for her.  She is indoor and low risk.  Have your vet speak to someone at the humane society and explain her medical needs.  

I wish you the very best with this as a new kitty will be a wonderful addition to your life and the life of your cat, and you will be giving a cat a forever home.  Good luck and let us know what happens!

Regular Contributor

This is just me talking, you know what is best.  I lost my beloved dog in march to what i have come to believe was over vaccination.  The distemper, parvo combo is not needed after puppyhood but it was pushed annually until i discovered the dangers of vaccines.  I had one vet confirm they are not needed after puppyhood.  I have 2 cats, at one time up to 4 and i never vaccinated at all. They were xposed to all kinds of critters and did just fine.  The vets never forced it.  I now have a 9 year old dog due the annual rabies vax and i refuse to subject him any further.  Rabies vax can also be bad if there is a reaction or if they r old.  As a reference, try researching dr karen becker's blog.  She addresses many issues vets dont want you to know.  

For now, i will stay under the radar and refuse to vax...it is really all about the money...same for cheap pet food companies...to them dog deaths dont affect the bottom line.

Respected Contributor

I will not be popular for this probably but I would say to talk with your vet and if they are in agreement not to do the vaccine I would not, especially if it is an indoor only cat. Sometimes humane societies will take into consideration what the vet said. If not then there may be another kitty somewhere else for you.

doxie

Contributor

My cat caught a bat once.

The only impressive thing is that he is strictly indoors. The bat was in my basement. We think it came in from the fireplace.  My 3 cats never go outside.  They only get rabies shots and trust me I was reieived that they had that vaccination.  I refuse to do the others and my vet is fine with it.

I follow the catinfo blog.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question on pet vaccine

[ Edited ]

If your cat is an "indoor" cat, I would NOT get a rabies shot.  

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

I have a twelve year old poodle who had surgery to remove his spleen a few months again and my vet said we would probably not do any more vaccinations on him anymore.  Because cancer was found in the biopsy, he said the risk of a reaction from the vaccine would not be worth the risk of it causing his immune system to possibly act up.

Honored Contributor

My cat is 18 and an indoor cat.  The vet hasn't recommended shots in many years.  My boy just gets checkups and blood work a couple times a year.

Honored Contributor

No I wouldn't continue to vaccinate her for rabies. As an indoor cat her chances of getting rabies are miniscule and there are health complications to over vaccinating and giving repeated boosters over and over. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

very interesting information, I checked the blog as suggested and there is a lot of helpful information there.

thanks