Respected Contributor

Re: Question for those who use Greenies

Our Golden LOVES greenies... but I wonder what's in them?  I don't have the packaging any more; I keep them in a Lock & Lock.  Next time, before I buy them, I'll definitely check the ingredients carefully.  There is so much *junk* in some dog food and treats.  I've learned to be very careful.

I've also started to give her REAL FOOD in addition to her dog food - like half and half.  I've used cooked sweet potato, quinoa, broccoli, mixed vegs., grated carrots, lentils, etc.  We also purchased a food dehydrator to use on sliced sweet potatoes, instead of giving Milk Bone or whatever for treats.  We want her to live a looooong time!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

Our Golden LOVES greenies... but I wonder what's in them?  I don't have the packaging any more; I keep them in a Lock & Lock.  Next time, before I buy them, I'll definitely check the ingredients carefully.  There is so much *junk* in some dog food and treats.  I've learned to be very careful.

I've also started to give her REAL FOOD in addition to her dog food - like half and half.  I've used cooked sweet potato, quinoa, broccoli, mixed vegs., grated carrots, lentils, etc.  We also purchased a food dehydrator to use on sliced sweet potatoes, instead of giving Milk Bone or whatever for treats.  We want her to live a looooong time!

I think @spent2much, when you read the ingredients, you will discontinue buying them.  Glycerin is the second ingredient and gelatin is the 5th.  It sounds like you are doing a good job supplementing with "good" food.  The dehydrated veggies are so much better than the Greenies.  It says on the package "recommeded by experts" HA.  I had a vet give a Greenie to one of my dogs.  He gagged and then threw it up.  The one thing on your list you might want to do more checking into is the lentils.  That can carry a fungus, not unlike peanuts.  Also rice tends to ferment in their gut.  Just "food " for thought. Smiley Happy

OT I love your sig........non smoker here Smiley Happy !

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

My vet advised me against them,  due to a chance of choking on the small piece left when they get to the end. He had that happen to a poodle of his.

Trusted Contributor

@cancun08 wrote:

Quite soft.  I use them for my cat and it's easy to wrap a pill in them.

Sorry, I guess that i misunderstood what Greenies you were questioning.  The only Greenies that I was aware of were the pill pocket ones.  Oopsie.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I think @spent2much, when you read the ingredients, you will discontinue buying them.  Glycerin is the second ingredient and gelatin is the 5th.  It sounds like you are doing a good job supplementing with "good" food.  The dehydrated veggies are so much better than the Greenies.  It says on the package "recommeded by experts" HA.  I had a vet give a Greenie to one of my dogs.  He gagged and then threw it up.  The one thing on your list you might want to do more checking into is the lentils.  That can carry a fungus, not unlike peanuts.  Also rice tends to ferment in their gut.  Just "food " for thought. Smiley Happy

Thanks for that info @tends2dogs.  I will do more checking on the lentils... and other foods that are good (and safe) for her.  By the way, you DO understand my sig, don't you?  

Esteemed Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Thanks for that info @tends2dogs.  I will do more checking on the lentils... and other foods that are good (and safe) for her.  By the way, you DO understand my sig, don't you?  

@spent2much  Read MY sig........we aren't talking cigarettes are we?? Smiley Very Happy 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@spent2much  Read MY sig........we aren't talking cigarettes are we?? Smiley Very Happy 

@tends2dogsNo, we're not!  I guess you got it.  **hugs**  (And I love your sig. too.)

Respected Contributor

Thank you all who replied!

Honored Contributor

I do not give my goldens greenies, i give real marrow bones every so often from the butchers.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

We feed our Golden Retriever the grain free version of Greenies - have them on autoship with Amazon.  They're also bendy.