Respected Contributor

Re: Question for dog owners in regard to nail clipping

Agree with all of the comments here - way to risky!  I have a basset hound and her nails are tough.  She, thankfully, is a ****** cat about letting me clip them.  I have been doing it since she was a pup.

Respected Contributor

That's totally inappropriate. Nail clipping takes maybe ten minutes or less even with my very reluctant dog. Find another vet. Be sure to ask how he/she handles nail clipping. You might also want to ask about other things that are important to you concerning policies and procedures such as afterhours/emergency care. A helpful and welcoming attitude by the receptionist/front desk/tech when you are inquiring about becoming a new patron is important to me.

The vet himself or sometimes an assistant clips my dogs' nails. Petco groomers also do it as a stand-alone service. I was talking to my vet just recently about my mid-sized dog's extreme resistance and he specifically said that a reputable veterinarian would not anesthetize a dog just to clip its nails. 

Valued Contributor

Hmm...I think that would be extreme!  Even if your dog's quicks have become long there are ways to shorten them without putting him under.

i subcribe to the "Whole Dog Journal".  It contains the best information about dogs and their relationships with their "mommies" and "daddies".  Here is their picture of the dremel option.  I have one and the only problem I find is the odor when grinding my poodles' nails  is a little unpleasant. 

92A41755-F2FE-4ED0-ADA1-2F1915E7CB5E-1231-000001B95291E86D.jpeg

When using a nail grinder, make sure you pull all the dog’s hair out of the way. The sandpaper can catch stray hair and cause the tool to spin into the dog’s foot, causing serious pain and injury to you and your dog (not to mention, traumatizing your dog for future nail trimming).

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would see a new vet.  Most vets wouldn't sedate a dog  to cut nails.  I use to cut all my dogs nails but my boy now hates it and fights it so much that I took him to the vet assistant and had his nails cut.  Said he was great.  I get charged $20. to have the nails cut.  Nails use to be cut for free years ago if the dog was in for something.  Now you pay.  

I question the vet because every vet I went to wouldn't sedate a dog unless you had blood work up done first.  Now that can be expensive.

Tried a Dremel and that was worse for him.

Esteemed Contributor

I won't do this and I would think about finding another vet. Our vet has a sling type harness for the difficult dogs and they do fine. We always have German Shepherd dogs and some are more touchy than others but they are fine with this system. We also clip their nails at home in between check ups. Some pet stores will have offers for these types of services. I would check the reviews on line. Some vet offices provide a service for a vet tech to come to your home to clip nails, etc. I've had family memebers that have used all of the above. It all depends on both your needs and the dogs needs and to not tramatize the animal with some basic care.

Honored Contributor

Put your dog to sleep for that? no

The vet assistants help us and we muzzle. My dog dislikes getting nails clipped.

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot cut my beagle's nails. She screams and squirms so that it's impossible to cut the nails. My vet will do it so I bring her in for baths and nail clippings. She had a check-up last week and I asked for a nail clipping. I heard the dog screaming in the background for no good reason but at least the nails were done. The next day, I showered with her and she was NOT happy.

Trusted Contributor

There are too many complications and dangers to putting an Old English Bulldog under anethesia.   I would question going to any vet that would even consider it for such a minor issue.

Find a good groomer who would do it.   They charge little for such a quick service. 

Honored Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

How about using a dremel and doing it yourself or find a groomer that uses a dremel.

I clip my dog's nails and smooth the edges with a dremel.