Respected Contributor

Re: Question for dog owners about nail clipping....

I do it by walking them.  They each walk over two miles a day, and their nails are okay.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Boomernichols wrote:

@SeaMaiden   I own a west highland terrier and have never been able to trim his nails.  He is 14 years old now and the vet still trims them for $16.00. He turns into CUJO when you try to cut his nails!  Good luck!!!

@Boomernichols   Did the vet say HOW he was able to do it if you could not? Just curious!

@SeaMaiden   I know you didn't ask me, but the Vet and groomer have always been able to trim my dogs nails easily.  They always squirm too much for me but stay still for them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Our little boy is the same way....the only answer is regular visits to his groomer once a month.  He gets his nails clipped during his bath. He screeches if he is put in a cage, so his groomer starts working on him immediately and I am waiting when he is done.  Our pets....what we won't do for them.  He is most precious in our world.

Honored Contributor

professional Lab mama @Drythe ...

Respected Contributor

Vet tech can help at your vet's office - soft muzzle is a great idea -

as opposed to light sedation....

avoid sedation -

save it for those times it's an absolute must...not for nail clipping.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

We drimel, always have.  We start with major toe fondling as puppies.  Have been fortunate that most rescues had been accepting.  The few we couldn’t do ourselves, had them done at the vets.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I would take him to the vet or a groomer if you know a good one. At the vet's office they have staff to hold and cut.  They have not quicked my black nailed dogs. I have them on a schedule and since I am regular I pay $5 for each dog. Well worth it.

You can also keep working with getting the dog to let you hold his paws while he is chilling at night. He will get better about you holding his paws.Time will tell if he becomes placent enough for you to do a one person nail job.

doxie

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go with the vet or groomer for now. But, keep trying yourself over time, and pairing it with his favorite treats. Start with a coarse nail file, painless, low pressure ... Over time, he may start to trust.  I have a small dog but she has very long terrier digging nails and use a very coarse nail file, works well, not scary and no risk of pain for them! 

My rescue had a nervous pee problem and we slowly trained her out of it, but it took 2 years...  Don’t give up! 

Honored Contributor

Our Golden Retriever used to be very cooperative but then he had a bad experience at the groomer and that was the end of it.  The groomer shaved the hair between his toes way low and his skin was raw in there.  He didn’t want anyone messing with his feet after that.  I am too nervous to try doing it myself so I take him to the vet.  It literally takes three people to get it done - two to hold him still and one to trim. I hate that it’s a bit traumatic for him.  He’s usually so calm in the evening and lays across my lap or right beside me.  I can touch his feet anytime I want to. Sometimes I wonder about trying to do it by casually taking a paw at a time and giving him long breaks in between.  Then I chicken out because I’m afraid of cutting too short.  

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

I would take him to the vet or a groomer if you know a good one. At the vet's office they have staff to hold and cut.  They have not quicked my black nailed dogs. I have them on a schedule and since I am regular I pay $5 for each dog. Well worth it.

You can also keep working with getting the dog to let you hold his paws while he is chilling at night. He will get better about you holding his paws.Time will tell if he becomes placent enough for you to do a one person nail job.

doxie

@doxie1   What did you mean Black nailed  dogs?  My pup does have black nails.  Is it because the quick is harder to see?