Respected Contributor

Re: Question for dog owners about nail clipping....

Also... do it after a ton of exercise when he is super tired! Best wishes for success! 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Boomernichols wrote:

@SeaMaiden   I own a west highland terrier and have never been able to trim his nails.  He is 14 years old now and the vet still trims them for $16.00. He turns into CUJO when you try to cut his nails!  Good luck!!!

@Boomernichols   Did the vet say HOW he was able to do it if you could not? Just curious!

@SeaMaiden   The dogs are intimidated by strangers.  One of my dogs is a sissy, trembles like crazy every month at the groomers, lol, the other, a girl, who would turn herself inside out when I tried to trim the nails, prances right in and is fine, dogs, just like kids, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

We drimel, always have.  We start with major toe fondling as puppies.  Have been fortunate that most rescues had been accepting.  The few we couldn’t do ourselves, had them done at the vets.

@Drythe   I used this method with my former dogs, no problem, but these two little terriers, NO way, I tried, lol.  The noise scared them too much.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   Going to make an appointment tomorrow at the local groomers.👍

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@doxie1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

I would take him to the vet or a groomer if you know a good one. At the vet's office they have staff to hold and cut.  They have not quicked my black nailed dogs. I have them on a schedule and since I am regular I pay $5 for each dog. Well worth it.

You can also keep working with getting the dog to let you hold his paws while he is chilling at night. He will get better about you holding his paws.Time will tell if he becomes placent enough for you to do a one person nail job.

doxie

@doxie1   What did you mean Black nailed  dogs?  My pup does have black nails.  Is it because the quick is harder to see?

@SeaMaiden 

Yes the quick is much harder to see in a black nailed dog. Also if the nails grow long the quick drops lower. I have had rescue dogs that came with baggage.  It was important to me to get the nails done by someone that is less likely to quick them so that the dog has a better experience.

We had to trim them a small amount every four weeks for a while to get the nails under control. Now we go every 8 weeks. The dogs eagergly go to them and they have the staff for two people to do the job instead of one.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Talk to the groomer and make sure they feel comfortable with the nail trim since your dog is not used to it.

Hope it works well

doxie

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@doxie1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

I would take him to the vet or a groomer if you know a good one. At the vet's office they have staff to hold and cut.  They have not quicked my black nailed dogs. I have them on a schedule and since I am regular I pay $5 for each dog. Well worth it.

You can also keep working with getting the dog to let you hold his paws while he is chilling at night. He will get better about you holding his paws.Time will tell if he becomes placent enough for you to do a one person nail job.

doxie

@doxie1   What did you mean Black nailed  dogs?  My pup does have black nails.  Is it because the quick is harder to see?

@SeaMaiden 

Yes the quick is much harder to see in a black nailed dog. Also if the nails grow long the quick drops lower. I have had rescue dogs that came with baggage.  It was important to me to get the nails done by someone that is less likely to quick them so that the dog has a better experience.

We had to trim them a small amount every four weeks for a while to get the nails under control. Now we go every 8 weeks. The dogs eagergly go to them and they have the staff for two people to do the job instead of one.

doxie

@doxie1   I have to take my dogs every month to keep the nails from getting too long.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl 

Every four weeks. Wow. Their nails must grow fast. Does your dog get much time to wear them down outside? What ever works, it is worth it.

doxie

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Boomernichols wrote:

@SeaMaiden   I own a west highland terrier and have never been able to trim his nails.  He is 14 years old now and the vet still trims them for $16.00. He turns into CUJO when you try to cut his nails!  Good luck!!!

@Boomernichols   Did the vet say HOW he was able to do it if you could not? Just curious!

@SeaMaiden   I know you didn't ask me, but the Vet and groomer have always been able to trim my dogs nails easily.  They always squirm too much for me but stay still for them.

@NickNack. @SeaMaiden.  I hada little terrier mix who was impossible to clip but my vet had no problem with him.  He said it was because he knew he wasn't "top dog" when in the vet's office.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

My dog will let me do anything but clip his nails. My vet does it with a soft muzzle, & the help of his techs.