Honored Contributor

Re: Question for dog owners about nail clipping....

I took my mini Aussie to a groomer for a nail clipping.  He thrashed around so much that he disassembled the groomer's entire station.  She finally said she couldn't do him.  I've been trying to touch and play with his feet but haven't made much progress.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have two small dogs.  They both have black toenails and they will not let me trim their nails.  I have tried to get my DH to hold them, but still cannot safely do any trimming...it is difficult to see with  their dark nails.

I have tried every trick in the book and nothing works.  One dog will let me touch her feet withno problem, the other one won't.  I do trim the hair from under the pads on their feet.

The groomer trims them and both will let her.  They do fuss a little bit not like they do for me.

My groomer told me that her own dog will not allow her to trim his nails, so she has another groomer do it do her.

Respected Contributor

I take my dog to the vet for a nail trim.  I've never tried it myself and would rather pay them to do it correctly. 

Trusted Contributor

I also have the vet/vet tech do my dog's nails. My dog yelps and carries on when I get near her with the clippers.  She is muzzled with a soft cloth muzzle at the vet, and lets them do it without a fuss!

Super Contributor

We have never had to trim our dogs nails (two have been labs).  They have had a lot of access to our large patio to play on, plus the sidewalks when going for walks.  Maybe walking your dog on a hard surface for longer walks would do the trick, or at least help.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

My new adopted black lab will not let me clip his nails or touch his feet AT ALL.  His nails are too long... dremel is not going to work either... tries that as well.... also gave him treats and even doggie herbal downers prior to calm him down... nothing works.

What do you who have this problem do? Should I take him to a groomer or vet  and see if he will let them do it?  

I read that some dogs need to be put  under at the vets to get nails clipped.... that sounds rather  desperate. 

What do wild dogs do? They have nails and no way of cutting or wearing them down?   So is it really necessary?

I always have been able to clip my dogs nails... I clip my golden retriever's nails just fine. 

This black lab will have nothing to do with it. 

@SeaMaiden   I take both of my dogs to a groomer once a month for nail clipping because they won't let me clip their nails.  it costs me $15 per dog, the vet charges $25 per dog, forget that.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine comes over every four weeks and trims my dog and cat's nails for me.  I hold them while she trims.  I used to take my dog to the groomer.  When I got my cat two years ago I tried to trim them myself, and he squirmed too much.  She said she would do both of them for me.  I appreciate it so much.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

We have never attempted to trim our dogs nails. The Vet has always done that, every visit. And also the groomer.

Our dog has a few dark nails and I would be scared to try and trim those nails. Plus our dog goes on 5 mile walks everyday. So that also keeps his nails filed down.

I am guessing a black lab does not have to go to a groomer on a regular basis. But maybe this first time have a pro handle trimming the nails. Maybe he never had his nails trimmed. And he will eventually get used to having his nails trimmed. Our dog never went to a groomer. It was tough the first few times. Now he enjoys the pampering.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden   I own a west highland terrier and have never been able to trim his nails.  He is 14 years old now and the vet still trims them for $16.00. He turns into CUJO when you try to cut his nails!  Good luck!!!

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

@SeaMaiden   I own a west highland terrier and have never been able to trim his nails.  He is 14 years old now and the vet still trims them for $16.00. He turns into CUJO when you try to cut his nails!  Good luck!!!

@Boomernichols   Did the vet say HOW he was able to do it if you could not? Just curious!