Honored Contributor

Question for dog owners about nail clipping....

My new adopted black lab will not let me clip his nails or touch his feet AT ALL.  His nails are too long... dremel is not going to work either... tries that as well.... also gave him treats and even doggie herbal downers prior to calm him down... nothing works.

What do you who have this problem do? Should I take him to a groomer or vet  and see if he will let them do it?  

I read that some dogs need to be put  under at the vets to get nails clipped.... that sounds rather  desperate. 

What do wild dogs do? They have nails and no way of cutting or wearing them down?   So is it really necessary?

I always have been able to clip my dogs nails... I clip my golden retriever's nails just fine. 

This black lab will have nothing to do with it. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Question for dog owners about nail clipping....

SeaMaiden...

Our Chihuahua rescue also will not allow us to cut his nails--he is squirmy and then tries to bite us--we've tried everything--even the dremel---no go.

Now we take him to the vet--costs us $15--the tech is able to cut his nails beautifully. They do not sedate him--they use a soft muzzle for a few minutes--he is no worse for wear. Definitely worth the money for us--and no one gets hurt!

Good luck!!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We get both our dog's nails clipped at vet.  If the clipping is in conjunction with an exam, they don't even charge for nail clipping.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If your dog walks a lot on concrete or asphalt it wears the nails down pretty well.  I was always concerned my dog's nails were too long but when she went to the vet he said they were not too bad.

When the dog is at the vet ask them to trim the nails.  They can do anything.  A vet tech will distract/hold the dog while someone else does the clipping.

Honored Contributor

Yes their nails need to be clipped,  have you tried filling a marrow bone with peanut butter, you,him,and bone in a very small space ,and clip them,or take him to the vet.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@patbz   @Gracies Mom    Then That will be my next thing to try.  Thanks so much.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

You're very welcome SeaMaiden!! I know how something that seems simple turns out not to be and can be frustrating. The two dogs we've had in the past always let us cut their nails without a problem--they were larger dogs--but this little guy puts up some fight!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Honored Contributor

have never even tried to file our dogs nails......and he is now 13.

it has always been done by the vet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

If the nails are to long, you will need to take to the vet.  They will muzzle and physically restrain him, you need to be ok with that.  Once done you can start working him.  I would first make it a game, with treats, just touching his feet.  You can move up to holding and playing with the toes.  Then get an emery board and just file the nails,  Eventually you will be able to do his nails yourself.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

Take him to the vet.  I used to clip my dogs nails and accidently got too close so he won’t let me get near him with clippers.