Super Contributor

I'm looking for recommendations for cat scratching posts/pads/etc. Perhaps something you've that has been successful with your cats.   I've tried a few different kinds and my kitty pays no attention to them.  She much prefers the furniture.  Before I invest in new chairs, I need to find to find something she will use.  Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for Cat Owners

[ Edited ]

I have a carpeted scratching post that I got at Petsmart (around $14).  My cat loves it.  When it gets worn out I just buy a new one.  She has also liked one that is made of corrugated cardboard and just lays on the floor.  Luckily, she has never used the furniture.  A suggestion would be to spray catnip spray on them to see if that helps. 

I hope you find something that works.     Cat Happy   

Honored Contributor

@Carolm   I have several, and this is the one my cat uses multiple times a day.  It's very well made.  I've had it for two years, and it still looks brand new.  It's the Pioneer Pet SmartCat The Ultimate Scratching Post.  That's how you would search for it on Amazon.  Amazon sells it and so do several other places.

41G4XuuknxL.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for cat scratching posts/pads/etc. Perhaps something you've that has been successful with your cats.   I've tried a few different kinds and my kitty pays no attention to them.  She much prefers the furniture.  Before I invest in new chairs, I need to find to find something she will use.  Any suggestions?

I feel your pain.  I have tried everything out the or just about and they will go to the carpet or my two wing back chairs in the living room.  I have two fur babies and love them but I too am at my wits end. 

Honored Contributor

Have you tried a carpeted post?  Not sisal or something hard.  If your cat likes the furniture, maybe if you get something that is similar in texture she will use it.  My cat has several towers with both sisal and carpeted posts.  He often uses the carpeted sides to scratch.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some cats are vertical scratchers,  some are horizontal scratchers, some are both. 

I'd try a somewhat substantial/plush small area rug or remnant.  Something she can dig her claws into.  Not shag, it has to have the right weave that she can catch her claws in.  Some of mine were horizontal scratchers and loved their rugs. 

Same thing for a vertical post --- thick carpeted. 

I'd try both at the same time. 

Valued Contributor

Go onto Overstock.com.  They have hundreds of scratching posts/condos.  I've had alot of success with many of them.Cat Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

We got ours from Wayfair (free shipping.)  It’s called “Ultimate Woven Sisal Scratching Post, SKU#SRT1061. She uses them religiously.  HTH

F/N/A luvstogarden
Super Contributor

@luvs2garden @Magicrat @ILTH @geezerette @KentuckyWoman  - thanks for all of your suggestions.  I will definitely be looking at the products you suggested.  My kitty seems to like vertical scratching, on fabric.  I did not realize there are different types of (cat)scratchers.  And, I will get the catnip spray as well.  Wish me luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

We got ours from Wayfair (free shipping.)  It’s called “Ultimate Woven Sisal Scratching Post, SKU#SRT1061. She uses them religiously.  HTH

@Carolm     This is the same one that I posted the picture of from Amazon.  It's $22 cheaper on Amazon and Chewy.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau