Respected Contributor

Question about vaccinations for puppies/dogs

I recently read a post from a woman whose heartbreaking story was about a puppy she bought from a breeder and I think it wasn't even 2 months old. Long --tragic -- story short: that poor little baby was dead within 24 hours of parvo.

What I was wondering is, at what age should puppies be vaccinated against parvo? and what is the schedule for their shots--I believe it's a series of 3...?

I wonder if the puppy was too young to be vaccinated....if that's true, why would a breeder release a puppy that hasn't been vaccinated?

My heart aches for this poor woman; she posted a picture of the little girl golden retriever who was just a little angel. The breeder returned her money and all the other puppies are being checked; I don't know enough about breeding to know if the breeder could possibly have a share of the...fault...?...in this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about vaccinations for puppies/dogs

I alwys thought the puppies stayed with the mother until 3 months. I know they have "first" shots but I thought that was after 8 weeks. I'm testing my memory. 

Honored Contributor

Puppies should have their first set of vaccinations when they are with the breeder and probably their second set, too.  They shouldn't leave the breeder and their mother until they are 12 weeks old.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

I recently read a post from a woman whose heartbreaking story was about a puppy she bought from a breeder and I think it wasn't even 2 months old. Long --tragic -- story short: that poor little baby was dead within 24 hours of parvo.

What I was wondering is, at what age should puppies be vaccinated against parvo? and what is the schedule for their shots--I believe it's a series of 3...?

I wonder if the puppy was too young to be vaccinated....if that's true, why would a breeder release a puppy that hasn't been vaccinated?

My heart aches for this poor woman; she posted a picture of the little girl golden retriever who was just a little angel. The breeder returned her money and all the other puppies are being checked; I don't know enough about breeding to know if the breeder could possibly have a share of the...fault...?...in this.

@GoneButNotForgotten 

If you are asking what the breeders culpability is, it all depends on what the breeder contract says.  Many breeders will only offer the choice of another puppy, and that only with a veterinarian certification of what caused the puppy's death.  Under the contract you usually are required to see your vet within a certain number of days after receipt of your puppy for this to apply.  A full cash refund of the purchase price is more than reasonable.

Parvo is highly contagious and puppies are highly susceptible to it.  Most good breeders keep their puppies confined to a certain area that they know is free of disease.  They're kept away from all other animals and people.  Even after they begin their vaccinations, puppies are still vulnerable to the disease and their new owners should be extremely careful about what they expose their new puppies to.  Typically a puppy will have had at least one parvo vaccine from the breeder before it goes to its new home but this does not guarantee immunity.

Also, some breeds are particularly vulnerable to parvo.  My dog is one.  I was not allowed to interact with my puppy when I went to see it at the breeder.  When I picked it up to bring it home, the breeder brought the pup out to me; I was not allowed to interact with any of the other puppies.  

So, while it's rare for a reputable breeder to have a puppy die from parvo, it is possible, even given every precaution taken.