Honored Contributor

Re: Question about unfriendly puppy

@Still Raining wrote:

That picture hurt my heart.  I had elder rescue that assumed that posture out of fear.  Only time I have seen it.

Yes, it's a strange picture.  Lying on blacktop like that, it seems the dog is injured.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@threecees wrote:

Pup must be very protective of your niece. Is the dog this way with everyone

new that he meets? @Boehm Collector 

May take some time to "make friends' with this little guy.

Apparently yes, @threeceess  ... but we were only at my brother's house for a few hours so perhaps she didn't have enough time to become accustomed to me.   Any maybe the flight from Chicago took it's toll.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr  and @Still Raining  ... dog was not injured,    And I didn't take it.  My niece sent it to me shortly after she got the puppy.  

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

That picture hurt my heart.  I had elder rescue that assumed that posture out of fear.  Only time I have seen it.

Yes, it's a strange picture.  Lying on blacktop like that, it seems the dog is injured.

Honored Contributor

My guess would be that the dog has possibly been treated badly in the past and certainly has not been socialized.  The owner should immediately take the advice of someone who knows what he's doing and get the dog accustomed to greeting people.  It should understand that growling at them us not acceptable.  The dog will soon be at the age where this habit may be impossible to break.

In the meantime, when in the presence of the dog, ignore it and let it come to you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Chihuahuas can be temperamental with strangers.  They make great guard dogs.

My youngest son who works in people's homes tells me that most of the time, these dogs must be locked somewhere else in the house so he can work.  He has been bitten a few times.  He loves dogs, but not this breed or a mix of them.

Once the dog gets to know and trusts you, they are friendly.  You didn't do anything wrong.  Give the pup more time to get to know you.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector I don't believe you did anything wrong.  For whatever reason - breed, abuse, etc., this animal most likely does not make friends easily.

Trusted Contributor

@Boehm Collector  You did absolutely nothing wrong.  We have always had labrador retreivers but after our last one passed away many years ago we searched online for a rescue puppy. We fell in love with a small, chiweenie puppy and adopted her.  She was fine for the first year and a half then it seemed like the devil took over! She started growling at use whenever we would go to pet her and she tried to bite my husband twice.  We decided we were not small dog people and needed to find her a new home.  We did and eventually adopted another rescue lab.  I don't know about all small dogs but our experience with one was not a good one. Maybe it's something in their personality.  Trust me, it's not you, it was their dog that was the problem. 

Valued Contributor

The two biggest things for a dog like this are Time and Space. Let her approach you on her own terms. If you ignore her and just go about your daily habits she might acclimate herself and begin to feel at ease. Having said that, my daughter once had a (large) dog that just didn't adapt, so her vet gave him doggy Prozac and he was a mellow dude after that.

Super Contributor

Don't know how old your niece is, but dogs are a responsibility and need training. Where the puppy was acquired, is telling. A kennel, a breeder etc.?

Puppies are not a stuffed animal. Please educate yourself so that both your niece and the puppy have a successful and happy relationship.

Honored Contributor

Put some crisp bacon in your pocket.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥