Esteemed Contributor

Question about unfriendly puppy

My niece has a small Chihuahua - miniature doberman pinscher mix puppy.  The dog is about 10 mouths old.  My niece  brought her home with her for a visit from Chicago.  I met the dog for the first time yesterday.  I could not get near her.  All she did was bark and growl at me.  Once when I got a little too close she tried to bite me.   I have NEVER met a dog that did not like me so I was a bit disappointed and confused.   What could I possibly have done wrong??  

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 11.29.27 AM.png

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about unfriendly puppy

[ Edited ]

That breed can be a little grouchy.  My neighbor has one, he is cute as can be, but even growls at them sometime when they tell lhim No.  I'm never sure when he is going to like me or not.  He is not mean, just tempermental.  They also have a minature schnauser and they get along fine, but she is really sweet natured - totally different than the MiniPin/Chiuahua.

Esteemed Contributor

That picture hurt my heart.  I had elder rescue that assumed that posture out of fear.  Only time I have seen it.

No advice, but some dogs can have a poor history and it can't be changed.  

Super Contributor

What about taking her to your vet for advice or getting a trainer? Of course things can be changed. Talk with the experts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some dogs want to get to know you on their own terms and when  they are ready. The fact that you love most dogs and most dogs love you makes it easy for you but not all dogs like it.  I had that happen to me once when I babysat for someone's dog for a couple of days.  I approached her too fast and she let me know it.  That night she jumped in bed with me, I looked over and said "good doggie" and after that all was well! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pup must be very protective of your niece. Is the dog this way with everyone

new that he meets? @Boehm Collector 

May take some time to "make friends' with this little guy.

Valued Contributor

Sometimes dogs would like to approach you on their own time.  Did you sit on the floor and let her or him come to you?  My dog didn't like hands over her head coming down on her.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector 

It's doubtful that you did anything 'wrong', dogs, like people, all have their own personalities.

Some love all people and others only bond with their owner.

I understand how you feel though, I've been a major animal lover my entire life, having everything from horses to a monkey and everything in between, never encountering a single one that didn't 'like me'.

But when I first met DH's family, their cocker spaniel snapped at me, I was bewildered, but we later became the best of friends.

I guess she figured out that I wasn't going anywhere, so she might as well like me, LOL!

Don't take it to heart, she may have just been grouchy from her trip!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

That picture hurt my heart.  I had elder rescue that assumed that posture out of fear.  Only time I have seen it.

No advice, but some dogs can have a poor history and it can't be changed.  

@Still Raining  .. I did't take that photo.   My niece sent it to me shortly after she got the puppy.  

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Some dogs want to get to know you on their own terms and when  they are ready. The fact that you love most dogs and most dogs love you makes it easy for you but not all dogs like it.  I had that happen to me once when I babysat for someone's dog for a couple of days.  I approached her too fast and she let me know it.  That night she jumped in bed with me, I looked over and said "good doggie" and after that all was well! 

@jubilant  .....     apparently she initially growled at everyone.   I did try to sit on the floor... not close to her.. to give her a chance to come to me.   Didn't work.