Respected Contributor

Question about adding wet toppings...

I read here some of you add a wet topping , like an additional canned food to your pups dry kibble. I'm wondering if any of you mix food types...like if they're on a dry salmon feed, or a lamb feed, do you stay with the source? Or do you top with something different than their dry kibble?
Honored Contributor

Re: Question about adding wet toppings...

I have been adding a small amount of canned to dry.  Stir to coat the dry.  It's more to entice them to eat the dry.

I have been reading about dry dog food not being good. I'm thinking about switching to canned, but there aren't as many vitamins and minerals added to wet as in dry. I'm still looking into it.  There's always something, like one minute coffee is good for us, the next it's bad.  

Respected Contributor

I think dry food keeps the dog's teeth from tartar buidl-up.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

My avatar, Kingston, eats dry kibble, but I top it with a variety of his favorite, healthy foods including:

Cooked chopped chicken

Cooked chopped beef liver

Fresh Green beans (sometimes I blanch them in no sodium, no fat chicken broth)

Fresh baby carrots

Shredded cheese

Scrambled egg

Never with wet (canned) dog food, it gives him diarrhea!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Instead of canned dog food ,add some fresh chicken,or meat ,or eggs.Think FRESH.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Yes, I mix flavors (formulas—i.e. chicken with beef), brands and types.  I top the dry food with raw freeze-dried nuggets, canned dog food, or human food (venison, eggs, burger, chicken, etc.)

Honored Contributor

If you feed dry kibble, I think it's important to use a high quality food.  I do and top it with a tablespoon of canned.  If I have anything "human" available, I might use that instead.  One favorite that's quick and easy is yogurt, either with fruit or without.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

I think dry food keeps the dog's teeth from tartar buidl-up.

NOT TRUE...does chewing pretzels keep your teeth clean.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Tried some green peas on Kingston's dinner tonight, he LOVED them!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.