Honored Contributor

Puzzle-type toys your dog likes?

Do any of your dogs have puzzle-type toys they like?

I am looking for things to keep little Kiku stimulated and occupied.  She just does not have any interest in playing fetch.

In the meantime, we visited Pet Food Express today and she chose this "Everlasting Treat Bento Ball" that is keeping her busy.  It's not a puzzle, just a chew toy.

DSCN0804 (2).JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Puzzle-type toys your dog likes?

Your little Kiku is precious !!

My four-legged babies love anything that squeaks.

Keep having fun...

Honored Contributor

Kiku is a precious little sweetie.  The only toys Frankie likes are stuffed, so I can't give you any suggestions.  It looks like she's happy with what she has.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

We had a beautiful GS years ago who was as smart as some humans and she loved to play games. We used to try and fool her, but she was too smart for us.LOL

Honored Contributor

My dogs figure them out too quickly then don't want to play anymore.

One, for example, was a section of a tree trunk with holes.  The owner sticks about 5 or 6 stuffed squirrels inside.  The dog is supposed to pull them out.  Repeat.

My dogs pulled one out, then said, "This is stupid" and didn't want to play with them. This was pretty much the reaction of all the puzzle toys.

But, don't let my experience stop you from trying with your dog.  

I try to think of games to play like the treat under one of three cups.  I purchased a few pieces of agility apparatus.  They like it, but won't do it on their own.

My dogs like to learn new things.  So, I taught them to fetch their coats and leashes before we go for walks. Then put them away when we return.  The names of their toys, then ask them to get them.  Currently, I'm teaching them to put their toys away before we go to bed.   

I think the breed may be a consideration for what toys might be of interest.  Mine are a retriever breed, so they like fetch and carrying squeaker toys around in their mouths.  

Honored Contributor

I used to hide my dogs ball and ask her to find it.She loved that game.I sometimes put the ball in an old sock so she would have to work hard to get it out....jack Russels are busy dogs.

Contributor

I don't have dogs but my 2 Singapura cats love the Nina Ottosson Dog Brick puzzle.

Respected Contributor

If little Kiku is a "snack hound" like my little Silky Terriers this bowl/puzzle is a nice way to slow down eating and keep them busy working out all the crispies in the nooks and crannys. Got mine on Amazon. Not exactly a puzzle but keeps my little guys happy if I just scatter a few Blue Buffalo dry food in it and the hunt is on. Your Kiku is adorable!

Image result for slow down eating bowls for dogs

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

You are an inspiration!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.