Respected Contributor

I may have to take an unexpected trip.  I do plan on driving, but it is a 10 hour drive.  I'm not sure how long I'll be gone for - perhaps 1 week, but maybe 2.  I'm not sure whether to take my cat along w/me or leave her here at home and have someone come in to check on her 2 x day. 

I have had her almost 11 years, and we have never been apart.  I got her when she was about 3 so she's kind of an older gal and is comfortable here at home.  But she's never been by herself.  So I'm debating whether to cart her w/me in her carry on cage in my passenger seat, (she's not really wild about travelling), but I did move here with her, and also she would be out of sorts staying at a strange place for awhile but I've done that with her before too, when we had to evacuate for a storm for a week or more.

I do hate to leave her and worry that she will be so upset and lonesome that I'm not with her.  Should I go ahead and take her with me or leave her be?  Maybe she won't miss me that much?  I'll be missing her something awful.  This is my dilemma.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

If you would worry less take her with you. I think either way she will be upset. Maybe upset with you is better than without. 

Frequent Contributor

Hello Jellybean

As a life long cat lover, I share my life with 6 rescues of various ages currently...  my suggestion is to have a trusted person come in twice per day for food water and litter scooping.  Cats HATE change, and as your girl is 11, a " senior cat" she will be more comfortable at home.  She will miss you a bit, especially if you are gone 2 weeks.  But when you get home you will be reunited and all will be fine.  Taking her to a new environment will put undue stress on an older girl.  She will be fine at home with a trusted person to look in on her.  Cats are very independent.   I totally understand your quandary.  I have been there many times.  I have taken my cats, and had a caregiver come to my home.  I suggest keeping her home.  
good luck with everything.  She is lucky to have a human who loves her and cares so much about her..

Frequent Contributor

I agree with @Emmie1165  I think at 11, it would be stressful on her.  We always worried about our cat escaping when we'd visit family in New Hampshire. We are from PA. Losing a cat 10 hours away would be awful. That's the main reason why we never took him with us. A vet tech takes care of ours when we are away. We have more than one now and we bought a petcam. None of them are buddies. Nevertheless, all they do is sleep, eat and watch the wildlife out the window. I think she will do better in the comforts of her own home. She'll be fine.

Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN  I would let her stay home.  as others have said cats don't like change.  You say she doesn't like tro travel.  She's going to have to travel 10 hours Twice at the least if tou take her with you.  You say she wasn't happy when you and she had to pack up and leave home for a few weeks before.  You're doing that again.  She won't understand the why's of it just that she's going away from her hame Again. 

I try to think like the cat when considering what to do in situations like this.  She sounds like a homebody and at 11 years of age is pretty set in her ways.  She might wonder WHY ,Just because YOU have business to attend to , WHY Must you disturb HER schedule?  IF you can get a trusted person to check in on her  feed, water, scoop and cuddle/play for a few minutes daily i think she'd do fine.  Also post your Veterinariens phone number prominantly. and If kitty is on any medicines make sure you hav an ample supply before you leave AND that your friend is able to Give the meds.   A lot of pet sitters want to set up a Pre- job meet and greet. If you don't have a friend to come in for your kitty Call your Vets office and see if they have any recommendations for pet sitters in your area. 

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@jellyBEAN  I would let her stay home.  as others have said cats don't like change.  You say she doesn't like tro travel.  She's going to have to travel 10 hours Twice at the least if tou take her with you.  You say she wasn't happy when you and she had to pack up and leave home for a few weeks before.  You're doing that again.  She won't understand the why's of it just that she's going away from her hame Again. 

I try to think like the cat when considering what to do in situations like this.  She sounds like a homebody and at 11 years of age is pretty set in her ways.  She might wonder WHY ,Just because YOU have business to attend to , WHY Must you disturb HER schedule?  IF you can get a trusted person to check in on her  feed, water, scoop and cuddle/play for a few minutes daily i think she'd do fine.  Also post your Veterinariens phone number prominantly. and If kitty is on any medicines make sure you hav an ample supply before you leave AND that your friend is able to Give the meds.   A lot of pet sitters want to set up a Pre- job meet and greet. If you don't have a friend to come in for your kitty Call your Vets office and see if they have any recommendations for pet sitters in your area. 

@jellyBEAN 

I agree with the info and feedback

that @candys mine gave to you.

I have four kitties (all rescues) so

there is no way that I'd ever travel

with them.

When I had to go to my niece's

wedding 3 years ago (it was out of

state and was a 3 day event) I had

a very trusted friend who also has

kitties come to my cottage and take

care of them while I was gone.

I also left my radio on so that when

my friend wasn't there my kitties

weren't left in a "silent as a tomb"

situation and could hear music and

the sound of people talking.

I have taken care of many of my

friends kitties when they had to go

away either on vacation or on business

trips. In most cases I went to their

home 2X's a day and in some cases

3X's a day.

Each visit was for at least 30 minutes

during which in addition to feeding and

scooping..and at times administering

meds (which I'm proficient in)..I spent

qaulity one-on-one time with them.

Hope this proves helpful!

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have moved interstate with two cats.  But SURE to contain them well!!  They will try to get out every time you open the car door.

Other then that, I would not have traveled with them.  I always thought they would be better left home.  

Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN  just thought of another couple of things.  If you do take kitty with you pack her blanket,  Enought of Her food to get her through the duration plus a bit extra just to be safe and  Bring a jug of Water from home.  Water does NOT taste or smell the same everywhere. If she gets bottled water bring some just in case that brand is not sold where you are going. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I would leave her alone for that long of a period of time, even though someone would be in twice a day to care for her.

Can you get someone to stay with her or take her to a trusted friend, someone she knows?

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN   I would never take my cat on a trip.  Cats hate change.  I would have someone stay with my cat while I was gone.  Maybe your Vet could refer you to someone.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau