Respected Contributor

Puppy has something wrong with his hipšŸ™

I got this Lab from a rescue at 9 weeks old. Hes almost 4 mos now. I noticed one hip sticks out, and he walks funny. Also, occasionally he'll bunny hop when running fast outside. I'm worried its dysplasia. Hes going to the vet this week. I googled as much info as I could, but please let me know if any of you have helpful tips, and any thoughts if the vet says surgery (which I fear and dread doing). Thanks!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Puppy has something wrong with his hipšŸ™

Years ago I had a German Shepherd who acquired hip dysplasia at 6 years old. The vet would manipulate his hip to get it back into joint. Good luck with your dog.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
I got this Lab from a rescue at 9 weeks old. Hes almost 4 mos now. I noticed one hip sticks out, and he walks funny. Also, occasionally he'll bunny hop when running fast outside. I'm worried its dysplasia. Hes going to the vet this week. I googled as much info as I could, but please let me know if any of you have helpful tips, and any thoughts if the vet says surgery (which I fear and dread doing). Thanks!!

DID he by any chance  yelp out when he did this? It could be hip dysplasia, i had a golden years ago ,she was 6 months old at the time was playing ball,and made a yelp ,and starting bunny hoping ,she had to have hip ,replaced,it also could be a acl tear,get to vet tomorrow.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

No Yelp. Doesn't seem to bother him. It bothers me!!
Hes going to the vet!
Esteemed Contributor

I have no experience with this at all, but just wanted to say that if the vet recommends surgery, I would get a second opinion.  I would look into chiropractic/manipulation or some other natural treatment first. 

Please let us know what you find out, @Dazlin.  I have a vet that does chiro on Willie.  He just stands and lets her adjust him. 

Hoping for the best for your pup and you!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

If the pup has an obvious malformation, the rescue group should have caught this and fixed it before the pup was put up for adoption.  At the very least he should have been examined by a vet.  If he needs surgery, I'd contact them and ask them to foot the bill.

I work with a collie rescue group and we've often had dogs have expensive medical procedures before putting them up for adoption.  Every single one of our adoptees has a medical exam, shots and a micro chip before being put in a new home.

New Mexicoā˜€ļøLand Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If the pup has an obvious malformation, the rescue group should have caught this and fixed it before the pup was put up for adoption.  At the very least he should have been examined by a vet.  If he needs surgery, I'd contact them and ask them to foot the bill.

I work with a collie rescue group and we've often had dogs have expensive medical procedures before putting them up for adoption.  Every single one of our adoptees has a medical exam, shots and a micro chip before being put in a new home.

I agree completely with @Kachina624.  I have worked with Cavalier King Charles rescue and been involved with French Bulldog rescue groups.  All of these groups have completely vetted and taken care of necessary surgeries before placing the dogs.  I've also known them to pay for issues that have arisen after the dogs were placed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

I have a Goldendoodle with hip dysplasia ( IF that is what your dog has) and we have been giving him Adequan injections monthly for 4 years now.  All is stable.  I know every situation is different, but wanted to let you know what was helpful for our large breed dog.  Good luck.  Our vet told us to keep rough-housing and playing with other dogs to a minimum.

Super Contributor

Large breed dogs are notorious for hip problems.  A firend got a Mastiff puppy from a breeder and his hip dislocated all the time.  A vet showed him how to pop it in but said she might need surgery to correct it.  She ended up outgrowing the problem.  A good vet is a must for your puppy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin, so sorry to hear this about your new puppy.  Iā€™m with @Kachina624 on this one.  I would do the vet appointment and make co tact with the adoption organization.  I am sure they will help you with this just as I am sure they would not want to jeopardize their reputation by not adopting out physically sound animals.

Please let us know how you make out at the vet.  I have never had a dog with this issue and I am sure it a great concern to you.  Good luck!  LM