Super Contributor

Puppies on the brain today ... picture of Belgian Shepherd pup

This is one of my favorite puppy pictures of our Belgian Tervuren.  He was almost 3 months old and meeting my Mom's overgrown Samoyed for the first time.    

Puppies are so adorable!!

shadow and frosty resized.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Puppies on the brain today ... picture of Belgian Shepherd pup

I've never heard of that breed of dog before. How big do they get, @juanitalinda?

Esteemed Contributor

@juanitalinda  The Belgian is so cute BUT that Samoyed I am in love with.  The are beautiful dogs. 

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I've never heard of that breed of dog before. How big do they get, @juanitalinda?

@catter70    Similar to a German Shepherd.  Often used by law enforcement. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I would say that most Tervurens are smaller than most German Shepherds.  They are usually not as muscular nor as heavily-boned.  Ours is 24 inches tall and should weigh about 55 pounds.  (Poor guy, he's on a diet and exercise program.)

It is true that Tervurens are used by police, but in our area they are most commonly found working in Search and Rescue.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom had a Groenendael, all black long-haired Belgian sheepdog. He was so intelligent and such a loyal, loving dog. His coat looked and felt like silk. So shiny! Most of the ones I've seen are used by law enforcement here in the US and abroad. 

"Groenendael" - A Belgian sheepdog

Belgian Shepherd Dog (Groenendael) Puppies for Sale from Ethical Breeders

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee   I think Belgian Sheepdogs are the most elegant, beautiful dogs.  I have no idea why they aren't more popular ... they are just great dogs.   

We rescued  a Belgian Sheepdog about ten years ago.  Come to think of it,  maybe I do know why they aren't more popular.  She had us trained within weeks ...  what a smart dog!  And she knew it.   

Honored Contributor

The dogs are very protective and they are excellent guard dogs, too. Those traits were why my mom got her Belgian. She lived alone and she felt secure in her house with her Belgian. He looked and sounded very scary when he barked, especially being a black dog with gleaming sharp white teeth. The kids in the neighborhood were too scared to come near him but he was so gentle. He would never hurt a child. @juanitalinda