Respected Contributor

We have a 2 year old goldendoodle who has been constipated for the last few days. Any suggestions on what I could give him to alleviate this problem. He justs eats kibble, but maybe something I could throw in with his food. Don't want to take him to the vet yet. TIA

New Contributor

we were advised by our vet to give our older dog Colace.  It worked well for her.  Hope this helps.  

Trusted Contributor

My cat gets constipated once in a while so the best thing to do is make sure the baby gets wet food, lots of water, maybe something with liver, olive oil is good also, or if you have to go the medicine route - a little Miralax.

Occasional Contributor

You can try some canned pumpkin not sure how much you can look it up. Depending on size of dog. Mix in with kibble. If that does not work call the vet.

Respected Contributor

Re: Pup with Constipation

[ Edited ]

You need to give him canned pumpkin, not the pie mix but the 100% pumpkin.  I give my dog a heaping tsp. every day along with her food.  She only weighs 13 pounds, so you'd probably have to give your dog a bigger dose.

Just do this every day whether he has a problem or not.  It is good for them and will prevent problems.

Occasional Contributor

Yeah sorry forgot to put 100%  I have 2 shih zus and it helps with constapation or loose stools.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvdoodles, are you absolutely sure it is constipation and not a full or partial blockage due to something he ingested?  If that is even remotely possible after a "few days" a vet check ASAP is definitely in order.  Doodles, both golden and labra, have a propensity for eating inappropiate things like socks, rocks, anything they can get in the mouth.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Regular Contributor

I totally agree with using canned pumpkin (just make sure it is 100% pumpkin puree and NOT the pumpkin pie mix).  It helps with both constipation and diarrhea, according to our vet.  Our pups think it is great!

Respected Contributor

You might try a half cup of warm milk and then get a wash cloth and get it hot and rub his belly in a downward motion towards his bottom. Also two large spoons of real pumpkin will help also.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@luvdoodles, are you absolutely sure it is constipation and not a full or partial blockage due to something he ingested?  If that is even remotely possible after a "few days" a vet check ASAP is definitely in order.  Doodles, both golden and labra, have a propensity for eating inappropiate things like socks, rocks, anything they can get in the mouth.

that was my first thought to. It could be a blockage. I agree with Marp on her statement.