Trusted Contributor

Pumpkin for your dog's behind

My 1 yr old has been scooting on the rug. I bought little cubes of something that is sold to help alleviate this, but isn't working. I have heard that pumpkin helps. I don't know if she will eat that as she is picky. My question is, what do you do with a can of it once you open it? How do you keep it from going bad?  Any other suggestions that might help?

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Pumpkin for your dog's behind

@geegerbee wrote:

My 1 yr old has been scooting on the rug. I bought little cubes of something that is sold to help alleviate this, but isn't working. I have heard that pumpkin helps. I don't know if she will eat that as she is picky. My question is, what do you do with a can of it once you open it? How do you keep it from going bad?  Any other suggestions that might help?

Thanks.

Will it stay fresh in a Tupperware/Rubbermaid/LockNLock container?

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@geegerbee    Your dog probably has infected ****** glands and need to them expressed by a vet.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee Canned (pureed) pumpkin can be kept frozen for a pretty long time. I have some of those trays for mini ice cubes so I can freeze the puree in little chunks and store it in the freezer, either in a plastic zip loc bag or lock n lock. Hope the pumkin helps your girl!

As @Kachina624 mentioned, the glands may need to be "expressed." You can do this yourself if so inclined :catfrustrated:or take her to the vet. Google "express glands dog" for some at-home instructions. 

Respected Contributor

You should consider taking your dog to the vet to get his/her glands expressed before they become impacted or infected.  By the time a dog is scooting, there is a problem.  Pumpkin is more of a preventative measure.  The vet can also tell you how much pumpkin to give as it is based on a dog's weight.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee,

I'm a big fan of 100% pumpkin (not the spiced kind!)  in a can.

I used it for our oldest dog when he had digestive problems and our 19 year old cat when her appetite wasn't good or digestive issues.

Just a tablespoon or 2 in their wet food. It always helped.

I do know when our dogs did that, scooted sometimes they had to get it lanced?

I don't remember the details just that my son and the vet said that.

Poor baby, we know they are uncomfortable when they do that.

I hope he feels better!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@geegerbee I too would seek out a vet to check on my dog.  It could be the **** glands or it can also be a type of worm (parasite) that looks like white rice when they break off.  

The worms also cause a severe itch and scratch response.

Honored Contributor

Yes having the glands expressed at the vet. That is what I was referring to.

The pumpkin won't cure that but I think it always helps to soothe digestive and eating problems.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@geegerbee , just put a plastic lid made for cans, on it.  Put it in fridge.  Depending on weight, you can give a teaspoon, more or less daily with food.  Make sure it's pure pumpkin,  not pie filling. 

Respected Contributor

More than likely your pup needs the glands expressed.  Usually groomers do this, or the vet, maybe vet tech.  I looked up how to do it on youtube and decided, "not for me!"  Best to get it done before they become infected.

Pumpkin is more for upset tummy.  I always chuckle when I hear to give the dog pumpkin because mine would not touch pumpkin under any circumstances.  If you do wish to try pumpkin, be sure to get straight pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix with spices, sugar or whatever they put in it.