Honored Contributor

Proposed FDA Regulations concerning Compounded Medications

[ Edited ]

I received an E-mail today from my compounding pharmacy where I get my pet's asthma meds.  It seems there is a new FDA regulation going through the House and Senate that would required compounding pharmacies to use manufactured drugs rather than bulk drugs thus making them more expensive.  I don't know that it would increase the price the amount they are claiming in the E-mail, but I am against anything that may mess with the way I get my cat's meds and the cost, and possibly even unintended cosequences.  For example, when I got my first prescription for his meds, I was told that that particular concentration could only be dispensed as is (cherry) rather than compounded in a flavor more palatable to a cat.  You can imagine how that went.  Since I can't attach the E-mail with the link to write message your Representatives if you would like to do so, I will attach the link and hope the mods don't delete it for some reason and then I will paste a copy of the entire E-mail for you to read.

I hope this doesn't violate some sort of policy or upset anyone.  Thanks.

https://www.mymedsmatter.com/action-center?vvsrc=%2fcampaigns%2f71976%2frespond%3futm_campaign%3dReg...

ETA: Alternatively if you don't want to follow the long link above, you can go to MyMedsMatter(dot)com and click on the Take Action block.

My name is Marcy Bliss and that’s my family’s dog, Ginger. I am the President and CEO of Wedgewood Pharmacy. Like you, I am an animal lover. I need your help to protect our

pets. At Wedgewood Pharmacy we compound custom medications for animals, including our beloved family pets. Since mid-March, we have been focused on responding to your needs for compounded medications during the coronavirus pandemic. But we have not lost sight of threats to your access to these life-saving medications. I’m writing to alert you to proposed Guidelines that could have serious and damaging ramifications for pet owners and pets.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing changes that would force us to prepare animal medications with manufactured drugs, rather than bulk ingredients from FDA-registered suppliers. This would dramatically reduce your access to compounded medications, lower their quality, and increase the cost of medications compounded for animals by an average of 300% and up to 3,000% in some cases. A bi-partisan group of Members of the House of Representatives has written a letter asking FDA to withdraw this guidance. I am asking you to act now to encourage your member of the House to co-sign that letter and ask your Senators to request that FDA withdraw these proposed dangerous and unwarranted changes to animal compounding.

Veterinarians told us in a recent survey, that if this guidance is adopted, “financial euthanasia” will spike, as pet owners are forced to let their sick pets go because they can’t afford the medicines they need. Shelter veterinarians also reported that others will surrender their pets to already over-crowded shelters and rescue organizations. This will certainly lead to an increase in euthanasia for tens of thousands of animals. People on fixed incomes could be especially affected by huge cost increases and forced to give up their companion animals when they need them most.

As we all know, family pets are precious for many reasons. They are important companions and stress reducers. They spread love and joy especially during these high-anxiety times in which we find ourselves. We make it easy to send a comment to your Representative and Senators. We have even supplied sample messages to get you started. If your Member is already a sponsor of the letter to FDA, you will be sending him or her a thank you.

Please, send your message today.

Cordially,

Marcy Bliss, President and CEO
with Ginger

PS: Please share this email with everyone you know who loves animals!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Proposed FDA Regulations concerning Compounded Medications

@Icegoddess I use Wedgewood, too, for medicine for one of my cats. Thanks for posting. Sounds like the Pharma lobbyist have been busy. I hope this doesnt pass. I already pay a lot for this medicine.

Honored Contributor

Re: Proposed FDA Regulations concerning Compounded Medications

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention @Icegoddess.  I have used Wedgewood several times in the past, the last time being for my previous dog's eye drops.  I sent the letter to my Representative and Senators.  I hope this doesn't pass.

I don't think your links will be deleted because they don't contain advertisements.  I posted this on my Facebook page.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau