Super Contributor

Re: Problems with the feral cat...

This is really difficult, I know this cat wants to be here with us. My son left me his cat and honestly I am just being   clear, I am a dog person, not a cat person, but they have their little place in the world. Anyway, she is old and will just will not kick the bucket, lol, she is indoors here and declawed and very touchy. Bring in a feral kitty would not be a solution. Tiger, thats is my feral allows me to hold him and pick him up, yeah not wanting his nose in my face too much lately. He has bedding, water, dry food, wet food, periodic company.

I am animal lover  across the board, we are in a reclusive wooded area that is being built around. I advocate for all animals. I DO have a problem with this cat hunting for  sport thing. He just started this up after so many years, I cant stand it, I will not get used to this nor do I want to. I might  have to have him put down, will discuss with my Vet.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Thebig Ifor stating your position and intestions in this matter. That you would consider euthanizing a cat you have supported for years simply beause he is Now bringing the kills he has most likely made for Years into your sight you will now kill him. I have no further words for you.

Honored Contributor

Please do not have him euthanized.  At least seek out an animal rescue and give him to them to rehome.  Euthanizing a cat for suddenly bringing home his kill, is cruel.  As someone else said, he has done this for years and just not brought them home.  That's what outdoor cats do.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

Euthanizing a cat, or any animal, for doing what nature intended them to do is beyond cruel.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Not only do cats generally have a hunting instinct, they will bring their dead prey to you as a "gift."  The fact he's dropping everything off where you've provided food and comfort to him tells me he wants to show you what a good hunter he is.  I have had indoor cats for years and years, but I had a cousin who lived in a wooded area and her cat hunted every small animal possible.  I was horrified when I saw the remains of a squirrel it had killed dropped on my cousin's front porch.  As upsetting as it is, I don't think there is much you can do for the time being.  You could ask a vet for suggetions.  Please don't stop feeding him.  He's relied on you for years and would probably suffer greatly if that were to stop.  

@Jaspersmom  Very wise advice, you are absolutely correct and it would be cruel and inhumane to abandon this cat after all this time!

Respected Contributor

@savetheanimals wrote:

First I would like to say what you are doing for this cat is wonderful. But, I find this post a joke - how do you think feral and stray cats survive?? There are not bowls of cat food everywhere outside for cats to eat. What the cat is doing is natural and he should never be punished or yelled at for doing that. Nobody likes to see that, but it happens everywhere with all animals outside. I feed and provide shelter for feral and stray cats. I have trapped many and will never stop. Please do not stop providing for this cat, what he is doing is normal. You should appreciate him helping control the mice. In a perfect world there would be no feral and stray animals! Humans caused the problem, now we need to help them!

Thank you for helping this cat!

@savetheanimals  Excellent post, thank you for your compassion, your concern, your work and your wise words....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Thebig I wrote:

This is really difficult, I know this cat wants to be here with us. My son left me his cat and honestly I am just being clear, I am a dog person, not a cat person, but they have their little place in the world. Anyway, she is old and will just will not kick the bucket, lol, she is indoors here and declawed and very touchy. Bring in a feral kitty would not be a solution. Tiger, thats is my feral allows me to hold him and pick him up, yeah not wanting his nose in my face too much lately. He has bedding, water, dry food, wet food, periodic company.

I am animal lover across the board, we are in a reclusive wooded area that is being built around. I advocate for all animals. I DO have a problem with this cat hunting for sport thing. He just started this up after so many years, I cant stand it, I will not get used to this nor do I want to. I might  have to have him put down, will discuss with my Vet.

@Thebig I I highlighted your words because they appear to be at cross-purposes; you say you are an animal lover and advocate for animals, yet you clearly state you are a dog person, not a cat person!  Your words do not show the problem is the cats, but with YOU having to deal with both cat's normal elderly and outdoor behaviors!  It would have been more appropriate for you to state your "true" feelings, attitude, hostility in your original post. I will repeat what another poster stated,  I have no further words for you!

Trusted Contributor

I have many feral cats. I hate when they hunt something because I love all animals. I do all I can to save any animal they might be hunting. I've interrupted & saved many creatures by being outside at just the right time. But I know I can't save everyone from them. These cats are never hungry but they continue to hunt. I hate it, but that's just the way it is. I would never consider any measure of starving or putting down. Just the thought makes me very sick. These cats depend on me and I will always take care of them to the best of my ability.

Please don't kill this poor cat for doing what is natural.

Valued Contributor

@Thebig I wrote:

This is really difficult, I know this cat wants to be here with us. My son left me his cat and honestly I am just being   clear, I am a dog person, not a cat person, but they have their little place in the world. Anyway, she is old and will just will not kick the bucket, lol, she is indoors here and declawed and very touchy. Bring in a feral kitty would not be a solution. Tiger, thats is my feral allows me to hold him and pick him up, yeah not wanting his nose in my face too much lately. He has bedding, water, dry food, wet food, periodic company.

I am animal lover  across the board, we are in a reclusive wooded area that is being built around. I advocate for all animals. I DO have a problem with this cat hunting for  sport thing. He just started this up after so many years, I cant stand it, I will not get used to this nor do I want to. I might  have to have him put down, will discuss with my Vet.

"I might have to put him DOWN"????? What a horribly cruel thing to do. This poor cat is only doing what come's natural. The fact that you could even think of doing this make's me sick. I have 4 cat's and cannot imagine ever, for any reason putting one of them "down".