Honored Contributor

Re: Problems with the feral cat...

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Not only do cats generally have a hunting instinct, they will bring their dead prey to you as a "gift."  The fact he's dropping everything off where you've provided food and comfort to him tells me he wants to show you what a good hunter he is.  I have had indoor cats for years and years, but I had a cousin who lived in a wooded area and her cat hunted every small animal possible.  I was horrified when I saw the remains of a squirrel it had killed dropped on my cousin's front porch.  As upsetting as it is, I don't think there is much you can do for the time being.  You could ask a vet for suggetions.  Please don't stop feeding him.  He's relied on you for years and would probably suffer greatly if that were to stop.  

I had also read that cats to show their appreciation will bring home "gifts". You might not appreciate his gifts but he is using his instinct.

Respected Contributor

You have sheltered and sustained this cat for 5 years. Please do not abandon him now. 

A leopard can't change it's spots.  He is a hunter and a good one.  He is bringing you gifts in appreciation or at the least he wants you to see how good a hunter he is. 

YOU are his safe place.

PERHAPS it might help if you can find his gift with him there and make a show how much you don't want it.  Don't yell at him, just a few dissapointed words while you sweep it up and dump his hard earned gift in the garbage can and walk away with none of the accolades he would expect and he may get the hint not to bring them in anymore.

Honored Contributor

Kitty cats are part of the big cat family and hunting is their nature.

I feel extremely sad for cats that are abused, maimed, tortured, for doing what’s normal and natural. 

My boy cats are inside only cats but seem content with their toys and watching birds, squirrels, and rabbits playing and eating in the backyard.

Frequent Contributor

First I would like to say what you are doing for this cat is wonderful. But, I find this post a joke - how do you think feral and stray cats survive?? There are not bowls of cat food everywhere outside for cats to eat. What the cat is doing is natural and he should never be punished or yelled at for doing that. Nobody likes to see that, but it happens everywhere with all animals outside. I feed and provide shelter for feral and stray cats. I have trapped many and will never stop. Please do not stop providing for this cat, what he is doing is normal. You should appreciate him helping control the mice. In a perfect world there would be no feral and stray animals! Humans caused the problem, now we need to help them!

Thank you for helping this cat!

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

That's why many people dislike cats.  There isn't a darn thing you can do about it.  He's a predator and these small creatures are prey.  He's doing what nature intended.

@Kachina624 Not always.  My poor cat ran from mice  Had no idea what they were.  She is talking about feral cats.  Domestic cats are not so inclined but there is a place in society for feral cats and they do kill undesirable creatures like rats which were not caught and killed by snakes.  Same for rabbits and mocking birds.  The world without cats would be an insane asylum.

Really?

One cat and you decide that all domesticated cats are not hunters?

Nope

I've had all kinds of cats all my life.

Now some were better hunters than others but the instinct is there

Watch how they play.

Frequent Contributor

I wonder if a collar with a bell would help, if you can get close enough to him?

May be worth a try, although some cats learn to keep the bell silent while hunting. Just be sure it’s a breakaway collar, so he doesn’t get caught.

Respected Contributor

My favorite pet ever was an orange tabby feral ... I loved him dearly.  When he caught his first bird and I found feathers, I hated him.  But forgave eventually.

Life isn't fair, I wish all kitties had warm beds in homes to sleep in, and none had to hunt for food.  Thank you for giving your feral a place to dwell, but forgive his shortcomings.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Not only do cats generally have a hunting instinct, they will bring their dead prey to you as a "gift."  The fact he's dropping everything off where you've provided food and comfort to him tells me he wants to show you what a good hunter he is.  I have had indoor cats for years and years, but I had a cousin who lived in a wooded area and her cat hunted every small animal possible.  I was horrified when I saw the remains of a squirrel it had killed dropped on my cousin's front porch.  As upsetting as it is, I don't think there is much you can do for the time being.  You could ask a vet for suggetions.  Please don't stop feeding him.  He's relied on you for years and would probably suffer greatly if that were to stop.  

I had also read that cats to show their appreciation will bring home "gifts". You might not appreciate his gifts but he is using his instinct.

@drizzellla  Yes, I "adopted" a feral cat once who brought me a rattle snake and as I tried to beat the snake and cat away, the cat seemed perplexed at my lack of appreciation.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

That's why many people dislike cats.  There isn't a darn thing you can do about it.  He's a predator and these small creatures are prey.  He's doing what nature intended.

@Kachina624 Not always.  My poor cat ran from mice  Had no idea what they were.  She is talking about feral cats.  Domestic cats are not so inclined but there is a place in society for feral cats and they do kill undesirable creatures like rats which were not caught and killed by snakes.  Same for rabbits and mocking birds.  The world without cats would be an insane asylum.

Really?

One cat and you decide that all domesticated cats are not hunters?

Nope

I've had all kinds of cats all my life.

Now some were better hunters than others but the instinct is there

Watch how they play.

@software  At one exception and you think that is what I said.  Really?  I said "my cat.."  If you read on, you will see I, too have, adopted feral cats.  Not all cats are hunters....some of the more domesticated and in-bred show cats know nothing about hunting except their water and food bowls.

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

My favorite pet ever was an orange tabby feral ... I loved him dearly.  When he caught his first bird and I found feathers, I hated him.  But forgave eventually.

Life isn't fair, I wish all kitties had warm beds in homes to sleep in, and none had to hunt for food.  Thank you for giving your feral a place to dwell, but forgive his shortcomings.

It's survival of the fittest.  I hated it when I saw a snake swallow a kitten.  I hated it when I saw my dog kill an o'possom but it's life.  It's the way Mother Nature intended it.