Honored Contributor

Some of you may remember that I adopted Monty at the end of last July.  He was 10-1/2 years old owner surrender because of urinating outside the litterbox supposedly because the previous owners got a new kitten and Monty was not happy with that. So the owners surrendered Monty and kept the new kitten.  Go figure.  

The first few weeks with Monty were difficult until I figured out that he didn't like his litterbox.  Once I got one he liked, I had no problems with him urinating or pooping outside the box.  Until now.  Right after Thanksgivng Monty starte urinating outside the box again.  He would do it on the bathroom floor just inches away from his box.  He would poop in the box just not pee.  Took him to vet and he had a bladder infection which he is on meds for until the end of this coming week.  However, he still will not urinate in his box.  He will poop in his box tho.  I now have puppy pads down on my bathroom floor.  

I have one bathroom and have to step over puppy pads to use the toilet, which is not always ideal.  Any suggestions on how I can get Monty to go back to urinating in his box again?  Really don't want to continue using puppy pads, just don't feel its very sanitary for either one of us and they become expensive when changing them multiple times a day.

Thanks for your help/suggestions!

Honored Contributor

Check with the vet again to be sure the infection is completely gone. The only time my male cat Tiger did the same thing he was in mourning. (We had to put Celia down in 1998 due to stomach cancer.) There is a reason for Monty to suddenly change his habits. Something similar was on an episode of "Cat from Hell" where the inside cat felt threatened by a cat outside.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess  Monty will be seeing the vet again once he is done with his meds this coming Friday.  Hopefully he'll be all better and then this box issue can be addressed.  Trying to look at the positive side of it & be thankful he's at least using the puppy pads!  

Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL, Monty may still be uncomfortable urinating and associates peeing and the litterbox with pain.  If it is irritation that is causing his litterbox avoidance it should stop when all discomfort is gone.

On the other hand, please have your vet check Monty for crystals in his urine.  He could be developing bladder stones.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.