Honored Contributor

Pro Plan Dry Cat Food and Protein

[ Edited ]

I currently feed my cat Purina One Turkey flavor but she will be 14 next month and I wanted to give her a little more protein in her food.  I decided on Purina Pro Plan Shredded Turkey & Rice which gives the crunch plus shredded meat inside for a savory treat with 38% protein.  Well, I certainly notice a change in Ava even though I am currently mixing the old & new food together.  She definitely had more energy and was ready to play.  Actually, my vet recommended Pro Plan.  The Pro Plan is a very progessive food.  There is even one that helps with allergies in people but fed to your cat with wonderful reviews.  Now the food I selected is not the Senior food for cats but I did not feel it was necessary since my last cat lived to 19-1.2 years old and she did not eat Sr. cat food.  How do you feel?  Senior cat food or something else? I want my cat in her senior years to have the most enjoyable experience when eating thus the shredded turkey & rice selection.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pro Plan Dry Cat Food and Protein

For the past few years all 4 of our cats were seniors. I've fed them the Purina One Active Maturinty with no issues. We lost 2 of them last year, most recent our Sammy who was almost 18 yrs old. The remaining 2 are 13 & almost 16 yrs old. I've tried feeding them both Blue Buffalo and Science Diet for Sr cats, as Purina was not making the Active Maturity for a bit during last yrs Covid issues. They wouldn't eat either of them. The Purina One senior food is now Active Inddor 7+, so far so good. I have a feeling that it's the same food, just a different name.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1   @kittymom56 

Mine still gets some dry food, but I always serve both wet and dry together.   Often I add a little water to the wet food.

Question ........  if you're feeding your kitties dry food, how do you determine if they are getting enough liquid?  Are they big water drinkers?  Urinary problems arise when they don't get enough water, so this is something always on my mind.  

Honored Contributor

My cat lived to 20 years and when she was about 17 maybe? she started throwing up a lot and this wonderful knowledgeable lady at petco told me senior cats need less protein and no dry food.

I know I've posted this before and if your cat is doing so well on more protein right now as long as she is doing well, I would continue.

14 is not so senior for many of our cats but if she ever starts having problems, this advice helped our sweet girl tremendously!

That and 100% pumpkin a few tablespoons in her wet food and a digestive tablet.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I also feed my 3 kitties (age 10 through 17) wet food and Purina One dry. I keep a large, bowl of water next to the dry food and watch to make sure all of them are drinking plenty of water throughout the day/evening.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   When my cat was a kitten I did give her dry cat food  especially for kittens and always a fresh bowl of water.  Cats and kittens drink more water when they eat dry food so I always give my cat a bowl of fresh water.  My cat will not eat moist food.  She does not eat treats or table foods.  She does like banana.  I call her my health conscience cat.  lol

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@on the bay   Thank you for the referral.  My cat will not eat moist food.  She is extremely picky.  Now my 19-1/2 year old Simone ate dry food until  she went to heaven.  She had all her own teeth because a few years before she had her teeth cleaned.  The dry food keeps their teeth healthy.  I would not mind feeding her moist food but she has no interest.  She won't cat treats.  lol

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Hi @Katcat1 ! I just asked DH about senior cat food. I know he's given it to our kitties once in a while. He said the reason to give senior cat food is the balance of protein and calories helps with kidney function, which can be a problem in older cats. But he said if your last kitty lived to be 19-1/2 you're doing everything right! Ava is lucky you're her mom!   Smiley Happy