Valued Contributor

Most of you probably already know this, but I did not.

I went to Petsmart yesterday to buy some toys and food. The prices were much, much higher than online. I went to the cashier with my phone showing the price differences. The policy of the store is to honor the online prices if you can show them. This saved me $55. The online prices are 50 percent less than the brick and mortar store.  Hope that is of interest.

I will be checking Petco sometime next week to see if they do the same thing.

I usually order from Chewy, but I needed certain things they don't carry. Their prices are usually the best, but Petco is a close second.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Valued Contributor

Wow!  I had no idea about that.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I haven't checked everything, but their online price for Wellness Kitten canned food and Fresh Step Ultra cat litter are the same as the store prices.  I think it's great that you saved $55 and quite amazing!  

Another thing I've done with PetSmart.  You can order online and pick it up in the store.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsTooI no longer have a pet, but I do think other kinds of stores offer similar price matches.

I do know I've saved big when I could tell sales associates that something they were selling was exactly the same as it was being sold elsewhere in the same mall on sale for much less.  Nordstrom doesn't run all that many ads, but they match the ads of their nearby competitors and I didn't know that when I first started shopping with them -  it was one of their own sales people who educated me!

Honored Contributor

Thank you @CatLoverDogsToo-

I realized this just recently at Petco!

Yes so much cheaper online.

I wish I had discovered this years ago!

I  know a lot of stores do this but I wish they wouldn't!

At Barnes and Noble when I questioned this, he said well they have to pay our salaries and the rent for this building etc.

But Walmart dowsn't do that-all the prices are the same. I think Target too.

I wonder why some can manage that and others can't!

And how can they expect to keep B&M stores in existence with this policy?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know they did that. Thanks for passing it along 

Honored Contributor

My boy cat (Bill) is now on another prescription food so I HAVE to order from Chewy.  

My girl cat (Katie) still prefers her regular wet cat food.  

So I feed them together but separately.  I have to watch her eat so that he doesn't help himself to her leftovers.  Ugh!  She eats so slowly....Ha!

Thanks for the information.  I do go to the pet stores sometimes, just to check things out.  It's good to know there is a difference.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My boy cat (Bill) is now on another prescription food so I HAVE to order from Chewy.  

My girl cat (Katie) still prefers her regular wet cat food.  

So I feed them together but separately.  I have to watch her eat so that he doesn't help himself to her leftovers.  Ugh!  She eats so slowly....Ha!

Thanks for the information.  I do go to the pet stores sometimes, just to check things out.  It's good to know there is a difference.

@Annabellethecat66  I don't know how long it takes for Katie to eat, but I have a Sure Flap Microchip Pet Bowl.  I bought it before getting Henry thinking that Frankie would try to eat his food.  As it turns out, I feed Henry behind a baby gate.  He can get through the slots, but Frankie can't get in the room.  He will get bigger and won't be able to get through the slots, though, and then I'll use it.  The one time Frankie did get in his room my housekeeper let her in.  By the time I realized she was in there, she had eaten all of his food.

The bowl is very nice.  If Katie has a microchip you code it to her microchip.  It opens when it senses the microchip and won't open for the pet that doesn't have it.  If she isn't microchipped, it comes with tags to put on her collar.  I ordered it from SurePetCare dot com.  Shawnie recommended it to me on this forum.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo Yes, PetCo does the same thing.  We saved quite a bit by checking the on-line prices first.