Esteemed Contributor

@betty423 wrote:

They've done other urinalyses since the first and he was clear of stones.  Vet said that was due to the food and to keep him on it.  My theory is to find out for certain I would have to take him off the food for a while - not sure ehow long before stones could/would show up. I'd hate to be wrong and cause the dog distress.

Betty

You really need to get another opinion.  When it says "prescription" it isn't medicine.  The food is to get through a rough patch, not a lifelong basis for nutrition.  Actually, it isn't nutritious.  It is so full of things that are not good.

Seek out another vet for another opinion.  You might be surprised at what you learn.  The vet you are seeing now sounds lazy, into the money he makes from the food, ot just isn't up on nutrition.  I would bet it is a little bit of all, especially the last.

I wish you and your dog the best.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@betty423 wrote:

They've done other urinalyses since the first and he was clear of stones.  Vet said that was due to the food and to keep him on it.  My theory is to find out for certain I would have to take him off the food for a while - not sure ehow long before stones could/would show up. I'd hate to be wrong and cause the dog distress.

Betty

Betty - The purpose of keeping him on the prescription food is to maintain a specific Ph level in the urine.  If the Ph is to high or to low different types of stones can develop.  Some breed and/or dogs are more prone to this development than others There are ways to monitor and alter the Ph levels without feeding the prescription diet.  You can discuss that with your vet and determine if that is a better alternative for you.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Regular Contributor

Thanks again.  I will be trying a new vet for his annual checkup and discuss his diet.  All of your ideas and suggestions are very helpful.  Enjoy your day!

Betty