Esteemed Contributor

Precious rescues

[ Edited ]

Just be careful. Thanksgiving day, we found a tiny kitten in the middle of the road with an eye injury. My vet was closed that Friday, so I took him to a different one, got him looked at, got the eye looked at and some medicine for it, got his first shots. 

Well, I still wasn't happy with the eye, and the rough skin that I thought was from being out in the elements prior to us getting him wasn't getting better. 

I took him to the vet a few days ago. He has ringworm. I am now having to keep him separated from my other animals, especially my two cats, which he wasn't around that much anyway because because they would run from him. 

Unfortunately, sweet kitty and I have loved on each other something horrible, and now I am afraid I am going to get ringworm. I'm calling my dr in the morning and going to ask for an antibiotics.

Just letting you know what happened here, its kind of been a hot mess. Just wish the first vet would have seen this. 

Trusted Contributor

How wonderful are you to take him in.  I hope all goes well.  It's a fungus and usually clears up with meds pretty quick.  Hope you all are doing ok.  Keep everyone posted. 

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat  Thank you for taking in this sweet kitten.  Once you have your meds and everything is cleared up, this will all be forgotten.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@happycatWhat a kind heart you have, taking in a helpless little guy who really needed you.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a kid, my best friend picked up a stray kitten. Somebody warned her that she could get ringworm. The cat checked out OK, but she named her Ringworm. She was a great pet. I hope your rescue turns out to be the same. My first beagle rescue was loaded with worms, but we stuck with her, got her well, and wound up with the sweetest dog that my children grew up with.

Honored Contributor

Such a good mommy....this will sort itself out.  Your kindness will save this little one's life.  Thank you for your loving gesture.  

Respected Contributor

Hoping you’re ok! But ringworm is easily treatable, so I wouldn’t worry too much- Thank you for helping the little creature! 

Respected Contributor

Ringworm is a fungus, so I hope your doctor doesn't prescribe anything but an antifungal, since I don't think antibiotics would work or be needed unless you had a secondary skin infection. Now the sweet kitten might need antibiotics if there's a skin infection, but hopefully the meds you got will take care of it.

Thank you for taking in this dear little kitteh. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Precious rescues

[ Edited ]

So many here are correct.  Ringworm is not a worm at all - it is a really unfortunate name for a simple fungus.  It is like athlete's foot or jock itch (it does not itch) that generally gets started in moist areas - but can often be found on the top of the snout, leaving the pet temporarily bald in that area.  It looks like a brown patch or scaly scab on skin.  If the skin around it gets tanned, the spots will be white. 

It can easily be treated by over the counter anti-fungal creams (Clotrimazole USP 1%) by many generic or brand names, found in a tube for just a few dollars.  It is cheap and very effective.  Coconut oil also works. 

I foster many pets that come from puppy mills, hoarding situations, and other vile conditions, so I treat this frequently.  So far, I have never caught it from one of the animals.  The hardest part is keeping the animal from licking the cream off once you rub it on the spots.   

Do do not worry...it sounds much worse than it is.  Your kind heart and generous spirit is very much appreciated by another animal lover.  Thank you for looking out for this sweet little soul who clearly needed you.  

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.