Trusted Contributor

Prayers Needed for our Sweet Dresden

Many of you may remember me asking for prayers not too long ago for our dog, Cody.  Your prayers worked!  Cody is doing so much better ~ he is like a new dog!!!  Thank you so much for that!

Today I am coming to you all regarding one of our other dogs, Dresden.  Dres is a 7-year-old coonhound/plott hound mix and is the love of our lives.  Everyone who comes in contact with her loves her.  She's mommy's girl.  Last night we noticed she was shaking a bit.  Her appetite has not been the same either.  Dres would eat anything ~ so much so we nicknamed her "Oreck."  We brought her in to a vet we don't normally see because the vet that took care of Cody was closed.  They took blood and the results aren't good.  They think (but are not 100% sure) that she is going into kidney failure.  They put her on medication and are hoping that will help make her levels more normal.  (Please forgive me ~ I've been in a daze since early today and it's not very easy for me to think clearly).  They took some x-rays and one kidney looks smaller than the other.  Everything else looks normal.  We have to give her subcutaneous fluids every day for a week.  I made an appointment to bring her in on Tuesday to see the vet that helped Cody so much.  I'm hoping a second opinion might not be so bleak.  The odd thing is if it weren't for her change in eating habits I wouldn't suspect a thing.  She darts out the back door 100 miles per hour, chases squirrels and seems very alert.  She still eats some (probably not the best food but she is eating).  I am devastated.  I can't imagine my life without her.  I am asking that you please, please, please say a prayer for Dresden.  Please ask that she will be okay.  I can't sleep or eat because of the anxiety.  All I want is for her to be better.  Please don't laugh, but I asked the vet if she could take one of my kidneys ~ that's how much we love her.  Amazing how all the other things in life I thought we such big issues are now nothing in comparison to this.  All I want is to know she is okay.  Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for your prayers. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Prayers Needed for our Sweet Dresden

I am saying a prayer for your sweet Dresden aka Oreck. I hope the medication turns this around. Give Dresden a smooch from me. I love hounds.

doxie

Regular Contributor

Sending prayers and positive thoughts for your baby that she will come through this just fine.  Please keep us posted.

Esteemed Contributor

My female lhasa is also the love of my life and I couldn't go on without her ---- so I know exactly how u feel. I'm sending prayers and love to both of you and I have a good feeling that Dres will be OK. I'm a bit psychic and I, literally, feel people/pets through the computer. Sandy in California

Respected Contributor

I meant to post that I have known people and dogs that have shown this and it has been linked to something else that was treatable and turned around. Take time to see her healed. You are doing the right thing to go back to the vet and get it checked. It may be  better.

A friend has a Plott hound with anxiety that has to wear a thunder shirt in storms. We have decked out her thundershirt with some bling and she is the talk of the town. She has such deep expressive eyes that she pulls your heart immediately.

Heal Dresden.......Heal

doxie 

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928

I completly understand and feel your pain.  Though we love them all there's always that special one. 

Prayers, hugs, love from me and my new little boy, Eddy, woof, woof (he's sending special prayers up to Heaven for your precious CodyHeart.

Frequent Contributor

Sending prayers and healing thoughts.

Honored Contributor

I'll say a prayer for your sweet Dresden.  I know how special she must be to you. I feel the same way about my Frankie.  Please let us know what the Vet says after your appointment on Tuesday.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928

I'm so sorry - I meant to say we're praying for Dres, a/k/a Oreck!

Valued Contributor

Sending prayers now.

i googled, and most mammals, including dogs can survive with only one kidney, so hoping that may be true for Dresden.  Also, please ask your vet about K/D dog food.  It is made for dogs with kidney problems, and helped our Cindy years ago.