Honored Contributor

Re: Potty training help please

@NickNack wrote:

@panda1234   It's not unusual for a puppy to not be housetrained at four months old.  It can take 6 mos. and sometimes up to a year.  Don't give up, and definitely don't get mad at your puppy.

I agree.  And each dog is different.  So are different breeds.  I found that the larger breed dogs I've had have taken longer to housetrain than the smaller breeds.  Four months isn't really all that old.

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions here to try, if you haven't already.  And consistency is key, too.  You'll get there.👍

Honored Contributor

Have you thoroughly removed the urine odor from the places she went in the house.  If not, dogs will think it's OK to go there.  

Does she always go when you take her out every hour?  If not, she may be confused as to why you are taking her out.  Every hour might be bit excessive.  

I agree with others, crating is the best way. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@panda1234   It's not unusual for a puppy to not be housetrained at four months old.  It can take 6 mos. and sometimes up to a year.  Don't give up, and definitely don't get mad at your puppy.

@NickNack   Thank you for the much needed words of encouragement. My carpet is 15 months old and will have to be replaced when this is over. 

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack   Thank you for the much needed words of encouragement. My carpet is 15 months old and will have to be replaced when this is over. 

@panda1234   I'm so sorry about your carpet.  I know how distressing that must be.  Maybe consider putting down some kind of hardwood floor instead when you replace it.  I did that many years ago for the same reason.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau